Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American hunting videos (bow hunting).

American hunting videos (bow hunting).

Hi there, this isn't intended to be yet another bow hunting argument, I just have a query regarding hunting practices which I have seen on online videos.

Moat of these videos have been now hunting, but not all. I don't know if that has any bearing on it at all?

the query being that it seems quite common on these videos to leave a shot animal (if shot in the evening) overnight or for at least a few hours if shot in the day, before attempting to find it. Is this common practice? If so why leave for so long and isn't meat damage a worry if leaving a dead deer for a number of hours before gralloch?

It's so they can then post the funny videos when the guts explode in their face!!
    Follow my stalking journey & SD sponsored DSC1 progress blog here

DSC1 forum sponsorship - Blogs - The Stalking Directory

idea is so they don't scare them and adrenaline take over and they run off their lease or into brush..... sad part is, they spend more time on that strategy than practicing enough to make the 1st shot count to begin with and drop them there. I get aggravated every time I see "hunting" videos...

Quote Originally Posted by daven View Post
    idea is so they don't scare them and adrenaline take over and they run off their lease or into brush..... sad part is, they spend more time on that strategy than practicing enough to make the 1st shot count to begin with and drop them there. I get aggravated every time I see "hunting" videos...
    I get he principle daven an it makes sense. We tend to leave shot deer for a few minutes here to allow them to expire, just wondered why they leave them so long(and weren't they worried about the meat damage)?

I have never know them left overnight, but usually 5-10 mins before walking into thick cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I have never know them left overnight, but usually 5-10 mins before walking into thick cover.
    I agree totally Taff. That's why I was wondering about the Long waits on these videos. It's on carbon.tv online lots of very interesting stuff on there. But all a little bit different from the way things are here.

As an American Bowhunter I will answer the question with some authority.

1st - much of what you see on the videos is NOT indicative of normal practice. They often will pass on a perfectly acceptable early morning or late evening shot because they do not have enough light for the camera to film. Just like you UK stalkers, we can take perfectly ethical killing shots in that gray light.

2nd- many recoveries on film are during daylight so that they get a good camera shot. The formula most like to follow is some sort of trailing, followed by excited "there he is" statements, then posing with the kill (grip-n-grin shots).

3rd - There are some justifiable real world moments when a bowhunter will wait overnight to trail. An ethical bowhunter does not wait to trail during mild or warm weather because this results in spoilage. However, if a) I make a marginal shot - and it happens for all shooters at some point and b) I have cold enough temps to wait till daylight and c) the weather will not destroy my trail with rain or snow then I may choose to wait. Even then, I run the risk of losing the kill to coyotes.

4th, and lastly - except in a very few states, the use of dogs for trailing or hunting deer is forbidden. Therefore, any trailing must be done by a human visually tracking the deer. If the trailing conditions are poor then sometimes a person might wait until better light. However, as you gain experience quite often the wise bowhunter simply refuses to take those shots in the evening, near heavy cover, with poor weather conditions. When we are young and dumb and the bloodlust it strong we may make poor choices. Digging ourselves out of those poor choices hopefully teach us the value of patience and more ethical shots

Thanks for that informative answer!

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    except in a very few states, the use of dogs for trailing or hunting deer is forbidden.
    I can understand the laws on forbidding the hunting of deer with dogs as obviously we have the same law in this country. But just curious as to the reasoning behind not allowing the tracking of deer? Is it just an extension so there are no excuses for the unscrupulous individuals who would try and justify hunting by claiming they were only "tracking" or is there another reason?

Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Cootmeurer View Post
    As an American Bowhunter I will answer the question with some authority.

1st - much of what you see on the videos is NOT indicative of normal practice. They often will pass on a perfectly acceptable early morning or late evening shot because they do not have enough light for the camera to film. Just like you UK stalkers, we can take perfectly ethical killing shots in that gray light.

2nd- many recoveries on film are during daylight so that they get a good camera shot. The formula most like to follow is some sort of trailing, followed by excited "there he is" statements, then posing with the kill (grip-n-grin shots).

3rd - There are some justifiable real world moments when a bowhunter will wait overnight to trail. An ethical bowhunter does not wait to trail during mild or warm weather because this results in spoilage. However, if a) I make a marginal shot - and it happens for all shooters at some point and b) I have cold enough temps to wait till daylight and c) the weather will not destroy my trail with rain or snow then I may choose to wait. Even then, I run the risk of losing the kill to coyotes.

4th, and lastly - except in a very few states, the use of dogs for trailing or hunting deer is forbidden. Therefore, any trailing must be done by a human visually tracking the deer. If the trailing conditions are poor then sometimes a person might wait until better light. However, as you gain experience quite often the wise bowhunter simply refuses to take those shots in the evening, near heavy cover, with poor weather conditions. When we are young and dumb and the bloodlust it strong we may make poor choices. Digging ourselves out of those poor choices hopefully teach us the value of patience and more ethical shots
    That's a nice, down to earth way of thinking... google the texas hunting forum sometime.... Some of them kids aggravate the hell outta me with some of the pics and videos they post and brag about.....