Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: High Quality 1080p rifle/gun cameras - bullet style - interest?

High Quality 1080p rifle/gun cameras - bullet style - interest?

I've spent ages looking into this, and bought quite a few to trial. I've found what I think is definitely the best of the bunch - its waterproof, does proper 1080p at 30fps and 720p at 60. Video quality is really superb, its waterproof, durable and handles repeated recoil (at least a days trial on the sbs shotgun on woodies didn't do any harm!). There are a LOT of cameras out there that claim to fit the bill and in my experience don't. They come with a variety of mounts including a rifle/scope mount.

None of the others I've looked for manage all this - even far more expensive offerings. Don't confuse this with the nasty plastic or low-res cheapies with naff CMOS cameras and exaggerated fps claims - these are proper jobs!

I am looking at the feasibility of a group buy. The price will work out no more and probably less than you would pay direct or on evilbay from China. I will (genuinely) not be making a huge amount on it, but aim to cover my costs - I'm not a retailer! If I do end up going down this route I'll get a month's trade subscription on here so I don't upset anyone.

If you would (genuinely) be interested please post on here and I'll cost it up. I suspect (depending on numbers) the camera will come in at around 60.

I will in due course post up some test footage and images of the camera/mounts etc.

If you want to use this style of cameras for hunting it's battery life that is the main problem IMO, in that unless you can just leave it on all the time you have to try and turn it on just before the shot, this can be difficult and distracting as I know from trying to use a similar cam on 2 driven boar trips. The target also needs to be very close, they are as good as useless at normal stalking ranges.

I have an HD bullet cam that I bought from Dogcam, it can capture some very good footage but the battery only lasts an hour at best and can't be changed so you are stuck once it has run out. It would be much better IMO to have a cam that can record for longer and loops over the footage and then you can press a button and save say the last x minutes of the video.

This is the ultimate:

http://shotkam.co.uk/

But take a look at the price

If your cam can address any of these issues I might be interested.

been looking at the SpyPoint Hunt cam 199 uk price or 145 from bass pro shop collected

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
    If you want to use this style of cameras for hunting it's battery life that is the main problem IMO, in that unless you can just leave it on all the time you have to try and turn it on just before the shot, this can be difficult and distracting as I know from trying to use a similar cam on 2 driven boar trips. The target also needs to be very close, they are as good as useless at normal stalking ranges.

I have an HD bullet cam that I bought from Dogcam, it can capture some very good footage but the battery only lasts an hour at best and can't be changed so you are stuck once it has run out. It would be much better IMO to have a cam that can record for longer and loops over the footage and then you can press a button and save say the last x minutes of the video.

This is the ultimate:

http://shotkam.co.uk/

But take a look at the price

If your cam can address any of these issues I might be interested.
    Certainly does! It has a very decent and properly removable Li battery pack that clips in/out - something that even the expensive dogcam jobs don't match. Its lasted several hours shooting with me no problem. Don't know what the actual burn time is, but I could test it. I did think about getting spare batteries also, but it really doesn't need it. The benefit of this is that you can replace the battery pack if it claps out - not the whole camera!
    Last edited by jcf1; 19-02-2014 at 17:22.

Quote Originally Posted by paul o' View Post
    been looking at the SpyPoint Hunt cam 199 uk price or 145 from bass pro shop collected
    Looks OK - but expensive and a bit on the bulky side? Saw the shotkam ones - and yes, probably do a fine job - but stupidly pricey! They do however align to your scope and display a ret for shot analysis and have a very nice mounting system....But for 700 I'd want them to laser guide the shot to the pigeon!!
    Last edited by jcf1; 19-02-2014 at 17:26.

Sounds interesting, more details, some pics of the unit and some footage would be good.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyR View Post
    Sounds interesting, more details, some pics of the unit and some footage would be good.
    Will soon follow! I've lent it out at the moment, so will post some up once I've swiped it back!

looking forward to pix and more info before i buy the spy.

If its as good as it sounds I'd be very interested in buying from you

i would be interested.