Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fallow fact or fiction

fallow fact or fiction

i have been told by a couple of different stalkers from different areas that fallow deer drive the roe out of there habitat. is this a fact or fiction ? now i must add that i have never noticed this on my ground and i have fallow and roe so what do you think fact or fiction ?

fiction, there would be no roe in the new forest if that was the case.

It's probably the browse line that is causing the Roe to seek food elsewhere.

ive noticed where i shoot fallow and areas were the fallow have been in good numbers their hav'nt been alot of roe but still present in small numbers ive always thought its competion for browse as well

Not the case where I am concerned,the Roe are quite tolerant of the Fallow but dont tolerate the Reds so well though!!

One patch we have has both. On occasions I've watched both species in the same cover crop just out from the wood.
    I think it's more to do with density than whether they co-exist together.

Just my thoughts

jon

I shot 5 deer today in a few minutes, 3 roe and 2 fallow, from the same point. They were grazing all within a few yards of each other. I think the roe do tolerate the fallow but if the fallow numbers rise too much the roe move, more out of seeking browsing than not tolerating them. As others have said more to do with densities and food availability.

The only thing I have seen on occasion is if you have frisky Fallow prickets in the same area as Roe, the prickets harass the roe back into the woods or across the fields.The does of both species seem very tolerant of one another, but do feed in their own groups.

To summers ago seen a Roe buck chased off by 3 fallow does, curiosity? Playing? Who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    The only thing I have seen on occasion is if you have frisky Fallow prickets in the same area as Roe, the prickets harass the roe back into the woods or across the fields.The does of both species seem very tolerant of one another, but do feed in their own groups.

I have also seen Fallow bucks chasing Roe during the rut on a couple of occasions, whether or not this takes places outside of the rut or between does (lets face it Fallow Does can be pretty territorial) i'm not sure. I would also agree with the comment that areas that carry high numbers of Fallow tend to be poor for Roe whether this is simply down to feeding its hard to say.