Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it too much scope

Is it too much scope

I was wondering is a 8-32x56 too much magnification for a foxing setup.

Well, I'd say 8x wasn't too much for a foxing set-up: and you have the option, rather than the obligation, to use more if you need it.

With scopes and magnification, I maintain that quality is more important than quantity - thus I'd rather an 8x56 S&B than a 8-64x72 of less-reputable make.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka 3006 View Post
    I was wondering is a 8-32x56 too much magnification for a foxing setup.
    I would keep it set on x8 for foxing, otherwise by the time you have faffed about zooming in the fox will be in the next county.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    i find that they will give you a narrow field of view,

i have used 6 and 8 as a base mag but now i have 4.5 and its well handy for all aspects of hunting,

i just wish i could find a scope that has about 4 mag up to say 18 so that again it can be used for closer shots and still maintain a mediocre field of view on full mag for longer shots in daylight.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

SD Regular
    I tend to agree with Bob here that a smaller lowest mag is useful, especially when they come in close (and they can). I'd also suggest that overly high magnification can make eye relief/position fussy and therefore target acquisition more difficult, possibly resulting in a missed shot/opportunity.

@Bob - Swarovski Z6 3-18x50? Nightforce 5.5-22x56?
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 19-02-2014 at 23:02.
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    I tend to agree with Bob here that a smaller lowest mag is useful, especially when they come in close (and they can). I'd also suggest that overly high magnification can make eye relief/position fussy and therefore target acquisition more difficult, possibly resulting in a missed shot/opportunity.

@Bob - Swarovski Z6 3-18x50? Nightforce 5.5-22x56?
    Hi EtR,

thank you for that but i would have to sell my 6mmbr to get one,

so im happy with what i have for the time being, both zeiss 4.5/14x44 ?

I am now known as the budget man ?

hope all's well.

AND THIS IS A POINT I ALWAYS FORGET > high magnification can make eye relief/position fussy and therefore target acquisition more difficult. < dame good point.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Blog Entries

ooops

Sorry EtR.

i can't have a nightforce on a rifle nearly as bad as having a blaser rifle.

bob.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    Sorry EtR.

i can't have a nightforce on a rifle nearly as bad as having a blaser rifle.

bob.
    Nothing is as bad as having a Blarser except possibly having your nuts cut off with a blunt hacksaw

Depends on the ranges you'll be shooting and with what rifle - IME target acquisition is the key with foxing and this is easier on a 6-8x mag. A .243 with 55gns is about 3"low at 250 yds so I rarely aim off at these ranges, and I don't need high mag as it just makes it hard to scope the fox.

To get consistent with your instinctive range judging I recommend you choose a mag setting you like and stick to it. I know I like 6x so I try and get fixed mags now. Unless you're target shooting I don't think you can beat a 3-12x40/50 for versatility.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BunnyDoom View Post
    Depends on the ranges you'll be shooting and with what rifle - IME target acquisition is the key with foxing and this is easier on a 6-8x mag. A .243 with 55gns is about 3"low at 250 yds so I rarely aim off at these ranges, and I don't need high mag as it just makes it hard to scope the fox.

To get consistent with your instinctive range judging I recommend you choose a mag setting you like and stick to it. I know I like 6x so I try and get fixed mags now. Unless you're target shooting I don't think you can beat a 3-12x40/50 for versatility.
    some very good points above and have to agree, unless your fox is blind def and dumb you don't get long on the shot,

bob.