Thread: case prep centres

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)

case prep centres

does anyone use one and if so

1,what one

2,what functions does it do ?

3, and how good is it,

the reason i am asking is my meds make me get cramp in my hands so doing loads of case prep at a time can be uncomfortable.

thank you

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Hi Bob,
    I have had a Hornady "Lock-n-Load" Case prep centre for a couple of years now. The Functions it can do are; Trim to length, Inside and outside Chamfering, Brush inside neck and primer pocket,plus two more screw in sockets that I don't use. I think it was a lot of money for what it does, and had a number of problems which took time to overcome. Particularly, the Trim to length function is tricky to get right, but unless you are re-loading a number of calibres, you only have to do it once. I found that cases could tip a bit sideways in the shell holder, as the pin that comes down to secure the case nearly fits into an empty primer pocket, and can push it off centre. I now re-prime my cases before I trim to length to avoid this. The kit didn't come with a full set of shell holders, or case neck pilots, although most of the regular ones were there. I hope this helps,
    Marcher.

I have a Lyman and am well happy with it save the thumbs a great and much quicker

i use it to de crimp mility brass
    cut uniform primer pockets
    De burr the primer hole
    Chamfer. Inside and outside of the case
    primer pocket clean
    neck lube

its been an excellent purchase.
    for case triming IMO you are much better off with a dedicated trimmer such as the guirad or foster

Suffering the same problem as you Bob I still stick with the Lee trimmer, if needed I just do smaller batches.
    But to be honest I can do a couple of hundred in an evening without to much discomfort, and it's not really
    that dependant of finger control. insert case in holder, which is in a drill, push trim gauge down the case and
    squeeze the trigger, pull it out and de-burr case with two touches of the trigger.

Neil.

Blog Entries
    Hi chaps

thank you all very much for your advice and comments,

I am using 2 cts case trimmers and find them a good buy,(and i have to say there is minimum deburring required after they are trimmed so that helps) but i find anything more than about 50 case Neil and im in discomfort, i am pretty handy with my hands when they work and i have converted an old black and decker 14v drill into the case trimmer and it works a treat running it off a 12 volt dc supply, but its the primer pockets and other jobs that get me, maybe i need to do as you say just do small batches at a time over a longer time (thats more time out the house in the loading room mmm that sounds good)

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Bob, I only use the drill for trimming and sometimes de-burring.
    I then chuck them in the steel pin tumbler and let it run for a couple of hours.
    If the burrs are small I don't bother, just trim and tumble.
    The tumbler takes care of the primer pockets, including taking any flash or burrs
    off the inside.

Neil.

Hi Bobjs

I also use a CTS trimmer for my 308 cases, excellent bit of kit

For my .44, .300BLK and anything else I just use the Lee case trimmers with the Universal 3 jaw chuck stuck in a drill, luckily the .44 and .300Blk have virtually zero stretch as they are used with reduced loads for indoor 25m so I only have to trim them about every 10 loads

For chamfer, de-burr and inside case neck clean (brush) I use a Hornaday Trio case prep unit, nice and small and does an excellent job.
    Last edited by phaedra; 20-02-2014 at 17:59.
    There's room for all Gods creatures ........... right next to the mash and gravy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by phaedra View Post
    Hi Bobjs

I also use a CTS trimmer for my 308 cases, excellent bit of kit

For my .44, .300BLK and anything else I just use the Lee case trimmers with the Universal 3 jaw chuck stuck in a drill, luckily the .44 and .300Blk have virtually zero stretch as they are used with reduced loads for indoor 25m so I only have to trim them about every 10 loads

For chamfer, de-burr and inside case neck clean (brush) I use a Hornaday Trio case prep unit, nice and small and does an excellent job.
    now that looks right up my street,

thank you sir, and i have to say they cts trimmers at $97 dollers for both shipped was a steel.

the hornady trio looks like what im after now,

thank you

bob.