Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Range Rover Vogue

Range Rover Vogue

OK I've done a search and can't seem to find anything so here goes...

I'm looking for people's experiences regarding a Range Rover Vogue 2004,5,6,7 model. Either 3.0 diesel or 4.4 petrol (not the sport or evoke or defender or disco)

Im looking for a replacement/upgrade to my Mitsubushi Pajero, I've always wanted a RR but I hear some people say they are a nightmare and are forever going wrong and others say they are bullet proof and the best vehicle they have owned. I'm looking at the newer shape (obviously ot the latest model) hence the reason for stating the year.

Already looked at the XTrail, L200's,shoguns etc and yes they are great off roaders but can't get the R Rover out of my system.

Has anyone owned or currently owns one? What are they like reliability wise, to run and practicality for a shooting wagon?

Comments appreciated
    Thanks

Unreliable and expensive to repair, electrics, engine management, transmission and suspension give frequent problems. They are definatly not the choice of vehicle if you want a frugal stalking wagon.
    But if you just want to turn up at a pheasant day looking like Lord Muck it just might with a bit of luck get you there.

Quote Originally Posted by gearboxbarry View Post
    Unreliable and expensive to repair, electrics, engine management, transmission and suspension give frequent problems. They are definatly not the choice of vehicle if you want a frugal stalking wagon.
    But if you just want to turn up at a pheasant day looking like Lord Muck it just might with a bit of luck get you there.
    If you push it!

Or its towed by an l200
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    Or its towed by an l200
    Or a hilux

Working properly, they are a dream and you will feel a million dollars. If you do get a petrol one, check it has a tow bar - for the petrol tanker you'll need.

But seriously, look for one that hasn't been used to tow anything big, has a full service history (it may well be no guarantee, but it's a start) and for the lowest mileage example you can find. All the stuff you'd look at in any car, but with the RR Vogue, it's even more important. Loadsa kit means loadsa stuff to go wrong. Make sure you check everything works on it.

Have a look at Honest John's review (him from the Daily Telegraph). It gives a general idea of what they're like but there's a section in there that gives the good and bad points and the bad points list all the reported known faults, good to know when looking for one!

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar...ver-2002-l322/

A friend of mine has a 4.4L one, swapped it for a disco. Same friend has a 4.0L V8 Jag as an every day car and still describes the RR as being exceedingly thirsty. As has been said before, when they are working they are a dream and there is quite possibly nothing better....for the brief moments between problems. The one i know seems to have spent an alarming amount of time being fixed, especially for a vehicle bought to tow a horsebox that hasnt yet been hitched up because said RR didnt come with a tow bar.

PS. And im a fan of Range Rovers, imagine what their detractors would say....

They are horrendously unreliable and hideously expensive to run but if you've decided you want one then go for it and get it out of your system !
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Thumbs up

Dont believe everything you hear yes you get good and bad in all cars

i had a 2005 td6 for 7 years put 120k on it had a few problems but nothing major more than wear and tear and service items

the td6 is well known to eat its own gearbox eventually i had no problems but is worth bearing in mind

if your not going to do too many miles id buy a 4.4 petrol and the money youll save put it towards fuel and repairs they also have a bettor gearbox yes people have had problems with them but overall they are few and far between

hope this helps if you do decide and want to know anything just pm me and I'll be honest

Thanks everyone for your honest opinions

Im certainly not a toff and it won't be my daily drive as I am lucky enough to have a company car for that use, it is mainly just a weekend vehicle. I think if it was going to be my only vehicle the restrictions on running cost would make it not viable but as its just a weekend run about and a shooting waggon that was my thought process.

They also seem to hold their value better in the year im looking at than any jap motors? I know Discos are renouned for poor reliability (certainly the Disco 3 in this year bracket) are we saying it is the same for the RRV?

Many thanks again chaps