Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unsuccessful end to 2009

Unsuccessful end to 2009

Despite the grotty weather down here on 30th Dec, I thought I'd head out for a final stalk of 2009. It was either that or Mary Poppins on the telly - no contest!

I didn't even make it as far as getting my rifle out of the slip

It doesn't look too bad there, but it's hung up and even when I jacked up the suspension I couldn't get enough traction to get out (forwards or backwards!) and only succeeded in digging it in deeper! It required a large tractor to get me out - which will cost me a bottle in due course!!

I have recently been looking at buying a Disco 3 commercial version and have decided that if I purchase it the crappy tyres it comes with will be off straight away.

I have seen a Disco 3 outside Dorset Police HQ's fitted with front winch, goodyear mud terrain tyres so obviously expecting it to be used it quite sticky conditions.

it does look a tad ambitious for conditions of the field, but many of us, I'm sure have been there before and will do so again

That's why I have a set of road tyres sitting in the yard and all terrain on the disco. Mide you I should have gon for mud pluggers of some sort as even these find the doing rough. Saing that it is fun in the snow
    All the best for 2010
    Jim

I am sure I am not the first to extol the virtues of Land Rover's products, but anything will become stuck in the wrong conditions, fitting of correct tyres is a must, & you just have to get used to the road noise & fuel burn that comes with them, road tyres will not give you any feel or warning when the ground becomes bad, I have had Landy's stuck many times & use the three goes rule, if it don't come unstuck on the third go, go look for a tractor or find an anchor point for the winch! , Nice Disco by the way. Steve.

It's not on road tyres - it's on all terrains

One of those nasty times when you're buggered if you stop and buggered if you keep going! The ground just got progressively wetter under the stubble to the point where I knew I had to just try and keep it moving. Once it was stuck there was no going anywhere and it was straight for the tractor - no point making a bigger mess of the field and then still having to sheepishly ring for help!

Guess you need to source a schnorkel then! Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270
    I have had Landy's stuck many times & use the three goes rule, if it don't come unstuck on the third go, go look for a tractor or find an anchor point for the winch!
    or phone someone with a Jap 4x4

Only in Dubai!

I always have a tirfor winch and a long rope with me in the van.