Who is in charge at Fettes

Before this closes,

Moving up to the border next month and wondering what the Firearms lot are like to deal with?

Do they do AOLQ or do you have to write a nice long list?

Cheers

Before this closes,

Moving up to the border next month and wondering what the Firearms lot are like to deal with?

Do they do AOLQ or do you have to write a nice long list?

Cheers

used to be great to deal with, seems like admin team has now but cut by a LOT...

no AOLQ,,,ie. long list...but they decide what they feel is right for each calibre, and don't seem to like too many calibres authorising the same game anymore..every time I do a variation, I get my FAC back with conditions changed on existing firearms that had nothing to do with the variation, usually removing fox from anything above 6mm and also starting to separate roe deer and red deer for misc. sized calibres.

I have been told by Fettes that your rifle is conditioned for largest quarry that you can shoot with it and everything else is also legal. Thus if you have a 308 conditioned for deer and you see a fox then that is ok, but if you had a 222 just conditioned for fox and you saw a roe buck that wouldn't be ok. Just to be certain I did confirm my conversation in writing to them and they acknowledged that my interpretation was correct.

I have been told by Fettes that your rifle is conditioned for largest quarry that you can shoot with it and everything else is also legal. Thus if you have a 308 conditioned for deer and you see a fox then that is ok, but if you had a 222 just conditioned for fox and you saw a roe buck that wouldn't be ok. Just to be certain I did confirm my conversation in writing to them and they acknowledged that my interpretation was correct.

so you can use a .308 on boar as they are smaller than say, red deer. but what if you saw a boar that was smaller than a roe deer, could you use your roe rifle on the piglet?

LOL...I think the actual rule they have is called 'lesser species'...wonder what god has to say about that!

Really? That's *extremely* interesting in light of certain recent events... Have you got a copy of that I might have?

Really? That's *extremely* interesting in light of certain recent events... Have you got a copy of that I might have?

Mungo,

I covered this with my new FEO for a while too. it was argued about the 'lesser species' rule and that it was ok to shoot 'lesser' quarry with your rifle, but within the grounds of common sense as well as it being 'one off's'..what they were saying was that a .308 conditioned for red deer would be ok for a day on the boar, but if you regularly shoot boar, it should be conditioned for that (you need ground with boar to obtain condition though), so as a one-off, it'd be ok. if you shot a fox with your .308, it would be ok, but you could not take your .308 foxing, as 'then' it should be conditioned for fox.

what they're saying is about what you 'regularly' use a certain rifle for.

So, they're basically just making it up as they go along rather than implementing the HO Guidance?

no i disagree, it is quite clear and sensible and leaves it up to me

its very striaghtforward

the only controls in HO guidance are for Deer, Fox and Boar (which as they are not endemic Police Scotland deal with ad hoc)

Police Scotland say if you have:
1A Vermin and Ground Game - shoot everything you want up to the largest ground game - shoot mice if you want
1B Vermin, Ground game and fox - shoot fox and below
1C Fox and Deer (small roe deer in practice although my .243 has this code as it is a calibre that is specifically used for fox) -
1D Deer (large species) - shoot foxes, rabbits, crows, rats etc if you want but the main purpose and your good reason for having the rifle is large deer.

I have boar added to the big ones too

point being if you want to waste £2 a pop slotting crows with a 300WM as no deer showed up then on you go! Its YOUR rifle

Back