powders of the same burn rate

jtl

If I have two powders of the same burn rate can you substitute one for the other at the same weight? Any one with knowledge?

No it's not quite as simple as that jtl. Relative burning rates are only one consideration, the amount of energy that each powder produces and the pressure produced for a given quantity of powder burned may vary considerably. They can however provide a usefull guide.

I won't attempt to explain it and make a complete pigs ear of it, it will be must easier to understand and correct if you read it from a good reloading manual.

If I have two powders of the same burn rate can you substitute one for the other at the same weight? Any one with knowledge?

No. For each powder you use, work up your load. I have some vintage N160 that is 10+ years old. When it's done and I start a fresh modern batch of N160, I will work up the load again. Folk taking their reloading very seriously test each batch of their powder of choice.

Regards

JCS

No is the short answer. The exception is identical powders. For instance Winchester 296 is the same as Hodgdon 110 so obviously, they can be interchanged.

I'm curious: What powders did you find that have the same burn rate?~Muir

Chuckhawks makes a good stab at explaining it here http://www.chuckhawks.com/powder_burning_speed.htm but if you want to cut to the chase an simply read the bottom line it says

WARNING! NEVER determine a load from this, or any burn rate chart. Employ only the newest published data for the specific powder you intend to use.

Back