Thread: Expanding ammunition on FAC

Unhappy

I have not been stalking a great amount of time only about a year.
    Done my course and put in for .22 .223 and 25-06 and 30-06 all with expanding ammo.

The 30-06 was declined at the time but as I have ended up stalking every or every other weekend for last 8 months, as I found myself very fortunate, my mentor being very helpful and friendly with the use of land, I am very blessed.

I recently requested verbally with firearms for expanding for 30-06 as I wish to buy a 202 sauer. Reasons for reds in Scotland. This has been declined until proof can be given i.e. booking confirmation.

My predicament is a trip to Scotland, price of a rifle which I do want the sauer do not why I should compromise and a good scope is a little expensive in a short amount of time.
    If I book the trip I would have to find funds, for a rifle and scope, there is no point in buying a rifle until I got expanding ammo, all seems a little harsh as I know others at our club that have expanding for many different calibers that they hardly ever use, if ever.

Feeling a little hard done by, any comments would be grateful.
    Last edited by Hotdog; 22-02-2014 at 20:30. Reason: Wish to del

They decline the 30-06 so why would they allow you to buy ammo for it ?

If you can justify the rifle, by showing a booking for suitable stalking, then just apply for the rifle, I suspect you may then get expanding ammo

Oh, and why would you want the ammo when you have not go the gun ?

Sorry I should of said I have a 30-06 on my ticket, But only jacketed ammo
    Just don't want to buy a hunting rifle with out the right ammo but its the chicken or the egg with money
    Last edited by Hotdog; 21-02-2014 at 20:41.

Verbally is not a variation request. If you want 30-06, and have good reason, then submit a variation on Form 202 (nice Sauer number that).
    You'll get an informed response, which will either be a variation or a rejection. You cannot base your request on the grant of such authority to others; you say you feel 'hard done by', so why not ask them a) how long they've been FAC holders and, b) when they got the authorisations they did - the answers may surprise/encourage you.
    Think there will be plenty 25-06 fans on here who will say they take Reds with that calibre; is it the calibre you're after or the Red stalking?
    If the latter, they have plenty in your part of the world (SW) and maybe somewhere closer to home is available.

[Your note about 30-06 FMJ arrived during my reply, so was your good reason for 30-06 target shooting initially?]
    Last edited by RickoShay; 21-02-2014 at 20:43.
    "There comes in the dead of night a hand of cold steel that plucks the German sentries from their posts"
    WSC 1942

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog View Post
    Sorry I should of said I have a 30-06 on my ticket, But only jacketed ammo
    Just don't want to buy a hunting rifle with out the right ammo but its the chicken or the egg with money
    Your first post suggests that you don't have a slot for a 30-06 on your FAC. However, if you do then given that you have stalking opportunities it is hard to see on what grounds they would decline to condition the rifle for deer. With the deer condition would come the S5 ammuntion authority.

Therefore, in your position I would ask the FLD why they are restricting my use of a rifle which I have already established good reason to possess. I'd probably point out that I was stalking frequently and that (Scottish reds or no reds) it might be reasonable for me to have a second rifle lawfully usable for deer in case of some failure of the other rifle.
    Oh - and I'd ask clearly and politely, and in writing.

Thank you.
    Regards to rickoshay post

[Your note about 30-06 FMJ arrived during my reply, so was your good reason for 30-06 target shooting initially?]

And yes put in for both target and hunting but at the time about had to choose between to 25-06 and the 30-06 for the expanding as roe what I was shooting at the time went for the 25-06 but now I wish to go for the 30-06 but like to see the ammo restriction lifted but fld like the proof of booking firist as I say all at once with cost is tricky think as I can be trusted with firearm that the belief that I will go should also be there also.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalua View Post
    Your first post suggests that you don't have a slot for a 30-06 on your FAC. However, if you do then given that you have stalking opportunities it is hard to see on what grounds they would decline to condition the rifle for deer. With the deer condition would come the S5 ammuntion authority.

Therefore, in your position I would ask the FLD why they are restricting my use of a rifle which I have already established good reason to possess. I'd probably point out that I was stalking frequently and that (Scottish reds or no reds) it might be reasonable for me to have a second rifle lawfully usable for deer in case of some failure of the other rifle.
    Oh - and I'd ask clearly and politely, and in writing.
    Last edited by Hotdog; 22-02-2014 at 21:06.

Hotdog, I think I understand what you are saying, but as you point out you need rifle scope and ammo to do what you want to do. You already have the slot for the rifle so why not buy that then the scope later if funds are tight then once they are in place book the shooting, your request for expanding ammo will then be more than likely granted.