Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Barrel break-in ,how do you do yours ?

Barrel break-in ,how do you do yours ?

There seems to be a few schools of thought on this , what system do you use and why?

my way is one shot clean one for ten cool down each shot then shoot 3 clean cool down then again for 4 times then 10 then clean then again then another deep clean then i am away to fowl it up zero then 3x each for bottom min top or until i find a happy load then clean use my load to fowl the rifle and only deep clean after every 50 rounds and so on .wrong or right this is how i do mine
    Last edited by paul o'; 22-02-2014 at 20:17.

Go out, chamber a round, see a Deer, shoot it, process it. Job done, back in time for tea.

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post

There seems to be a few schools of thought on this , what system do you use and why?
    Don't mean to me a creep, but this topic is beaten to death about every week. You might try searching back a few days before people like me answer:

I don't. I just shoot it. Barrel break in is a bunch of hooey.

Or someone else puts up a link to the massage therapy school of barrel break in.
    ~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Jager SA View Post
    Go out, chamber a round, see a Deer, shoot it, process it. Job done, back in time for tea.
    What he said!~Muir

What Muir said in the first bit and disagreeing with a light heart on the second
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Don't mean to me a creep, but this topic is beaten to death about every week. You might try searching back a few days before people like me answer:

I don't. I just shoot it. Barrel break in is a bunch of hooey.

Or someone else puts up a link to the massage therapy school of barrel break in.
    ~Muir
    What,s hooey sounds like good stuff , dose it came in a Bottle like sweet's 7.62

I don't, just take it slow and easy to start, don't let it get hot.
    All that means to me is a minute or so between shots while zeroing a new rifle.
    I will clean it after each use to start with until I see if or how badly it fouls, then a good clean every
    50 or so rounds, the exception is the hornet, clean every 100 to 150 rounds.
    After each trip out I single pull through with a bore snake, just remove loose crud and any dampness.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by hornet 6 View Post
    i don't, just take it slow and easy to start, don't let it get hot.
    All that means to me is a minute or so between shots while zeroing a new rifle.
    I will clean it after each use to start with until i see if or how badly it fouls, then a good clean every
    50 or so rounds, the exception is the hornet, clean every 100 to 150 rounds.
    After each trip out i single pull through with a bore snake, just remove loose crud and any dampness.

Neil.
    x2

ab

I always think of this guys method when this subject comes up.