Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Holland and holland sako?

Holland and holland sako?

Went to get ammo at a new gunshop to me and on the rack was an old 270 in as new condition open sights Appel swing offs hinged floor plate .it was a sako but stamped on the barrel was I'm sure it said regulated by holland and holland .i remember seeing something similar on here but cant remember who posted it for sale .cracking gun very nice wood and informed it had shot a box full of ammo had it been 308 I'd have put a deposit on it .anyone seen similar ref the H/H stamp .
    cheers
    Norma

Pukka Bundhooks sold a similar (different calibre) regulated rifle some months ago.

It's not that unusual Norma, Rigby used to do the same some years ago with Parker Hale rifles. It was more of a marketing ploy than anything to do with work carried out by the companies concerned none the less I believe they actually test fired each rifle to see that they weren't putting their good names on a lemon. Shooters can then use a reasonably priced rifle with a prestige name that they can boast about.

My father-in-law did the same years ago when he purchased a Seat car that used a system Porche engine. He would tell people that he drove a Porche. The mother-in-law told people that a local school of motoring must be good because they use Porche cars, when in reality the school used Seat cars.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

[QUOTE=8x57;740370]It's not that unusual Norma, Rigby used to do the same some years ago with Parker Hale rifles. It was more of a marketing ploy than anything to do with work carried out by the companies concerned none the less I believe they actually test fired each rifle to see that they weren't putting their good names on a lemon. Shooters can then use a reasonably priced rifle with a prestige name that they can boast about.

Just as 8x57 says. A old stalker friend of mine has one. I seem to recall that H&H just did minor things to the rifle and put their name on it. My friends rifle is OK and shoots as well as any other Sako.

It really is in as new condition for a 20 yr old rifle the chequering is crisp and the action smooth and untill recently had a small mag zeiss scope on it a super 270 .
    norma

Hi Jagare, I was half expecting you to mention your own rifle the Heym and then I thought again about it. Your Heym is quite a bit different in that Heym purchased the action from Ruger and built the rest of the rifle from scratch, and made a beautiful job of it.

If I remember correctly Richard Prior used to own a Rigby/Parker Hale.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    It really is in as new condition for a 20 yr old rifle the chequering is crisp and the action smooth and untill recently had a small mag zeiss scope on it a super 270 .
    norma
    Buy it, buy it...I just love the old Sakos, so tempted with the Stutzen in the classifieds!

Tempted as you can probably tell James just thinking about the variation Ect I would like a lighter bare rifle minus mod Ect and really like the mannlicher classic half stock too ideally 308 .once upon a time I wanted everything looking modern and synthetic as I'm getting older I'm leaning toward the classic style .
    do you think I'd get away with either a 270 and a 308 or two 308s I also have a 6.5 .going along the lines of I need a hill / light wieght rifle without mod
    norma

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    tempted as you can probably tell james just thinking about the variation ect i would like a lighter bare rifle minus mod ect and really like the mannlicher classic half stock too ideally 308 .once upon a time i wanted everything looking modern and synthetic as i'm getting older i'm leaning toward the classic style .
    Do you think i'd get away with either a 270 and a 308 or two 308s i also have a 6.5 .going along the lines of i need a hill / light wieght rifle without mod
    Norma
    Snap.