Holland and holland sako?

norma 308

Went to get ammo at a new gunshop to me and on the rack was an old 270 in as new condition open sights Appel swing offs hinged floor plate .it was a sako but stamped on the barrel was I'm sure it said regulated by holland and holland .i remember seeing something similar on here but cant remember who posted it for sale .cracking gun very nice wood and informed it had shot a box full of ammo had it been 308 I'd have put a deposit on it .anyone seen similar ref the H/H stamp .
cheers
Norma

It's not that unusual Norma, Rigby used to do the same some years ago with Parker Hale rifles. It was more of a marketing ploy than anything to do with work carried out by the companies concerned none the less I believe they actually test fired each rifle to see that they weren't putting their good names on a lemon. Shooters can then use a reasonably priced rifle with a prestige name that they can boast about.

My father-in-law did the same years ago when he purchased a Seat car that used a system Porche engine. He would tell people that he drove a Porche. :lol: The mother-in-law told people that a local school of motoring must be good because they use Porche cars, when in reality the school used Seat cars.:rofl:

It's not that unusual Norma, Rigby used to do the same some years ago with Parker Hale rifles. It was more of a marketing ploy than anything to do with work carried out by the companies concerned none the less I believe they actually test fired each rifle to see that they weren't putting their good names on a lemon. Shooters can then use a reasonably priced rifle with a prestige name that they can boast about.

Just as 8x57 says. A old stalker friend of mine has one. I seem to recall that H&H just did minor things to the rifle and put their name on it. My friends rifle is OK and shoots as well as any other Sako.

It really is in as new condition for a 20 yr old rifle the chequering is crisp and the action smooth and untill recently had a small mag zeiss scope on it a super 270 .
norma

Hi Jagare, I was half expecting you to mention your own rifle the Heym and then I thought again about it. Your Heym is quite a bit different in that Heym purchased the action from Ruger and built the rest of the rifle from scratch, and made a beautiful job of it.

If I remember correctly Richard Prior used to own a Rigby/Parker Hale.

It really is in as new condition for a 20 yr old rifle the chequering is crisp and the action smooth and untill recently had a small mag zeiss scope on it a super 270 .
norma

Buy it, buy it...I just love the old Sakos, so tempted with the Stutzen in the classifieds!

Tempted as you can probably tell James just thinking about the variation Ect I would like a lighter bare rifle minus mod Ect and really like the mannlicher classic half stock too ideally 308 .once upon a time I wanted everything looking modern and synthetic as I'm getting older I'm leaning toward the classic style .
do you think I'd get away with either a 270 and a 308 or two 308s I also have a 6.5 .going along the lines of I need a hill / light wieght rifle without mod :cool:
norma

tempted as you can probably tell james just thinking about the variation ect i would like a lighter bare rifle minus mod ect and really like the mannlicher classic half stock too ideally 308 .once upon a time i wanted everything looking modern and synthetic as i'm getting older i'm leaning toward the classic style .
Do you think i'd get away with either a 270 and a 308 or two 308s i also have a 6.5 .going along the lines of i need a hill / light wieght rifle without mod :cool:
Norma

Snap.

i once turned down a 410 H&H sidelock shot gun that was priced at £350 , kick myself every day for that one !

Tempted as you can probably tell James just thinking about the variation Ect I would like a lighter bare rifle minus mod Ect and really like the mannlicher classic half stock too ideally 308 .once upon a time I wanted everything looking modern and synthetic as I'm getting older I'm leaning toward the classic style .
do you think I'd get away with either a 270 and a 308 or two 308s I also have a 6.5 .going along the lines of I need a hill / light wieght rifle without mod :cool:
norma

Why not, ask the question....mmm Stutzen classic...:scared:

The estate rifle at my in laws is a Carl Gustav 270 shot and regulated by Holland & Holland. It sits next to a sako .308 the spare. both are over 40s years old and still spot on.

From what I understand, holland and holland took the basic rifle, reblued them to a higher standard (like the Sako bluing is rubbish?) and had the stocks re-worked too, that's why the checkering is so good. I believe they 'regulated' them with factory Sako ammo.
Speak to Richard Stork, he knows the full story of them. Full Bore Rifles - The Devizes Gunsmith

Pete

Holland's did this also with the basic Webley 700 shot gun. You'll see them with just "H & H" stamped on the action where usually you'd see "Webley & Scott". Personally I think that I'd assess the rifle on its merits and on its value. I know that Market Harborough Clayshooters' Supplies had one many years ago. Very good order and with a Zeiss 'scope.

Is it a Holland and Holland? No. Never was and never will be. It is just a factory made gun retailed by them just as you'll see Webley pistols retailed by the Army and Navy CSL and other companies.

From what I can remember, they used to take them to bits, check everything was within tolerance, put them back together and retail them. It seemed to be another way of shifting metal. Nice enough rifles though - one of our regular guests had one.

Couldn't help myself today went to get more geco and had another look at the sako ,down loaded the variation forms tonight :lol:
norma

Holland & Holland, Rigby, and Westley Richards also built rifle from actions or barreled actions from Mauser, Mannlicher, Sako, and FN. Someone might want a Mannlicher, but with an English stock to fit them, or they might want a Mauser action but a different caliber. Whatever H&H did, you can bet they didn't degrade the Sako. If the price is right, these older L579 and L61R rifles are treasure.

The H&H records show that they were all taken to the shooting grounds, shot and checked, then were sent back to be reworked if they didn't shoot properly. Not all seem to have been restocked by H&H, or more likely made from barrelled actions, so there's a mix. The Husqvarnas I've seen do seem to all have been restocked, but only half of the Sakos I've seen appear to have been. They started with FFV Husqvarnas in the late 60s, then when FFV stopped making sporting rifles around 1972 they switched to Sako. The Husqvarnas were numbered on the trigger guards from 01 upwards to around 099, with Sakos being numbered up to above 400. I don't think they re-blued them.

There are a few for sale at present, Husqvarna 085 in 270 is in Holts auction now, Husqvarna 01 (the first, in 308) and Sako 401 in 30-06 will be in a Gavin Gardiner sale soon, and Portsmouth Gun Centre have Sako 397 in 270.

Back