Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: scope wanted for .22rf - something decent

scope wanted for .22rf - something decent

looking for something decent to go on top of a .22 rimfire have just done up a bit and tuned the trigger

6x42 or low - mid power variable (leupold or european manufacture)

anyone got anything they want to clear out?

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar

Re: scope wanted for .22rf - something decent

Quote Originally Posted by bucksden
    looking for something decent to go on top of a .22 rimfire have just done up a bit and tuned the trigger

6x42 or low - mid power variable (leupold or european manufacture)

anyone got anything they want to clear out?
    http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...pic.php?t=8949

You know it makes sense......

Happy New Year

TJ

ah you have seen the light (pardon the pun) glad your finally sorting out your carlos fandango optics and getting a stalking scope. just need to sort your taste in rifles now...

remember..

german rifles and cars
    austrian scopes
    japanese bikes and 4x4's
    italian women
    english breakfasts

any other combination is wrong.com!

merry new year

Quote Originally Posted by bucksden
    ah you have seen the light (pardon the pun) glad your finally sorting out your carlos fandango optics and getting a stalking scope. just need to sort your taste in rifles now...

remember..

german rifles and cars
    austrian scopes
    japanese bikes and 4x4's
    italian women
    english breakfasts

any other combination is wrong.com!

merry new year
    Oh dear .... oh dear I take exception to that dictatorial attitude. Perhaps you also work in Firearms Licensing?

Germans cars ... Hmmmm well I for one would not have a BMW as a gift if I was given one I would say thank you very much and sell it to the first gullible one I came across and pocket the dosh. I spent too long picking up these so called high quality motors and dragging them to the dealers who seem to all have their noses attached to the ceilings. Very bad show. Their reliabilty is shockingly poor

I don't like Jap bikes either and I don't like to be ripped off for some cheap plastic bits that cost pennies to make yet they charge a fortune for them

The few Italian women I have met have not been anything special and they do tend to have a tendancy of getting overweight too

Some German rifles are OK others well take the new Mauser 03 hmmm no thank you

Just because you like them does not mean we all should. It would be a very boring world if we were all like little clones. Now didn't Hitler, Stalin and ole Mau want that sort of idea ........................... nope very bad IMHO

Have a good 2010 though won't you

Now bucksden,

Hmmm you didn't say what your intended use of said .22 L/R is

My own bunny basher has a Nikko Sterling Platinum 4x40 on it and it suits it just fine, one used for the range has a 6-18x40AO Simmons Air Gun Competition scope on it makes shooting small groups fairly easy. I believe your right in wanting a straight fixed magnifiaction scope on a general purpose rifle if indeed that's the intended use. My brno model 2 has the Meopta prepov 3x scope in the Brno mount on it.

Unfortuneatly the Nikko Sterlings have dropped in quality in recent years they used to be good scopes for something like the .22 L/R and it's uses. I made the mistake of buying a new Gold crown 4.5-14x50AO and it was rubbish and very poorly made. The optics were clear and bright but the fast focus eye piece was a sloppy fit in it's housing so that on anything more than a .22 L/R the POI moved up and down I tried it on a heavy barreled 6mm. The importers Highland Outdoors said this was normal for a fast focus eyepiece when it was returned to them .

The older ones made some years ago are much better in build quality and the 4x40 Platinum shows none of this poor quality. I cannot say I have been overly impressed with the Leupolds I have a M8 compact 4x and a VX3 2.5-8 and I would certainly not pay the price they demand new for one. The VX3 was on a rifle I brought and I brought the M8 used.

Macleods of Tain have a list of used scopes on their website I would suggest you have a look. As others on the directory can attest they're good to deal with and honest too. They have a scope that I may try to wring the budget to get .

You could do a lot worse than one of the old Tasco world class if they come up s/h. They were an excellent quality scope and more than enough for rimfire. Similalrly the large tasco variable that the warrener used to use (can't remember the name for the life of me) but they were very good too.

Also the Falcons have pretty good glass and are seeing extensive use on centrefires. IIRC the 4-14 model retails at around the 200 quid mark.

Now: German Rifles. Nope. Manlichers utilise outdated tech (the company has dubious morals) and have a perverse name and then theres that nasty B word which I'm not going to repeat. German Cars Ok as long as it says vw golf on it.

Austrian scopes. Nope. S&B are German.

Japanese Bikes and 4x4s. Nope. Don't ride bikes. Landrover are english and the best 4x4 is the Unimog which is German.

Italian women. Nope. Salma Hayek, Eva Mendes and Eva Longloria are not Italian.

English Breakfasts. Yes. If you want to look like Robbie Coltrane and die at 50.

Overall: FAIL.

Opinions will vary.

Unimog.......... read moon buggy! It's ok if it stays on the hags.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by zaitsev
    You could do a lot worse than one of the old Tasco world class if they come up s/h. They were an excellent quality scope and more than enough for rimfire. Similalrly the large tasco variable that the warrener used to use (can't remember the name for the life of me) but they were very good too.
    got to agree.

I have a tasco titan 3/12x52, just had it re gassed and serviced, and its on a par with my swarovski 8x56 right up until last last light where the swaro only just beats it.

well used and cracking optics for the cash.

in fact if i can sell my swarovski i will be placing it on my .243.

bob.

no comment on the German car to Italian women thing, i just enjoy what i have and not what i dream of.

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs
    in fact if i can sell my swarovski i will be placing it on my .243.
    you could sell your swarovski if you dropped the price to what you paid for it, and deduct a bit for the wear and tear -

it would sit quite nicely on my .22

Dear Mr Bucksden

I have a Simmons 3.5-10x50 Whitetail W.A Classic. It has been sat on my .22 and hardly used.

Yours for 75 +p&p.

Regards

Sauer

Quote Originally Posted by sauer202.308
    Dear Mr Bucksden

I have a Simmons 3.5-10x50 Whitetail W.A Classic. It has been sat on my .22 and hardly used.

Yours for 75 +p&p.

Regards

Sauer
    i think this is the point when i am supposed to ask if its a Phillipino model (not sure why but i've seen it on other forums?)