Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Freelander 1

Freelander 1

Thinking of buy a Td4 SE 54 reg,has anybody had one? just wanted to know if they had any common fault,mpg,etc.

Thanks
    Hunting isn't just something I do it's part of who I am

I had an 03 with the BMW diesel in. Very reliable for the 100,000 miles I put on it and I think it did around 36mpg mainly around rural roads. The only problem I can remember was a new radiator under warranty. The bosses son has it now and I haven't heard of any problems. Much better in the snow than the Freelander 2.

hi
    I have a 04 td4 hse it has off road tyres I get anything between 30 and 38 mpg I change the oils and filters regularly. had the vehicle three years changed alternator and a few hoses one ball joint and two window regulators.
    hope this helps.

There's a rubber drive thing I n the rear diff that needs replacing about 70 or 80k, and it's v expensive yo do. The cheap fix is to turn it to 2 wd so check that a) it's been replaced and b)that it hasn't been blanked off.

had a petrol one new, surprisingly not that bad mpg for a petrol Landy, could have been towards 30 on a run if I remember rightly.

nice cars to drive, v comfy compared to others.
    will

I owned one.

It was by far the worst motor I have owned. Common fault ? yes, they are.

Hand on heart, I could NOT recommend one to anybody.

Had mine now for over three years. Fitted BFG AT's and regularly travel to Scotland and back. Really good on forest tracks and never failed to get me home. 9/10 from me.

Quote Originally Posted by 243ack View Post
    Had mine now for over three years. Fitted BFG AT's and regularly travel to Scotland and back. Really good on forest tracks and never failed to get me home. 9/10 from me.

What tyre size are they please.
    Last edited by Pirate hunter; 23-02-2014 at 20:34.
    Hunting isn't just something I do it's part of who I am

I have a 54 HSE its very nice to drive over distance, have only done light off road with it so can't vouch
    For its deep off road capabilitys. Have owned it for 3 years 30000 done with no major faults yet!!!! Just
    Look for a well maintained and good condition, would not look at one much past 100000k that's when the
    Problems start.

I've had mine (53 plate) for 3 years now.

On the whole, it's been reliable, except that the turbo died and needed replacing last year, which stung a bit.

Mine's the 3-door model, so I have the rear seats folded down as a rule, making it a neat little 2-seater pick-up that I can keep my standard gear in day-in-day-out.

In (rare) spells of dry weather I'll take the back roof off, lash a Quake Stag chair to the D-rings in the load space and use it for night shooting, but when the weather is less certain I'll take the passenger side sun roof out, slide the seat forward and get my shooter to stand in the rear foot-well and shoot from the top of the cab. And when I'm on my own I'll simply shoot from the front seats using a window rest kindly supplied by a member on here.

I find it more than adequate off road, good on the road, and very practical. Fuel consumption is as has been reported -neither good nor awful- and it doesn't spend any more time at the garage than any other car I've owned.

In short, if it got written off tomorrow, I'd buy another one.
    "Docendo discimus" - Seneca the Younger (c. 4 BC – 65 AD)
    “Comodidad, tranquilidad y buena alimentacion” - A Spanish recipe for contentment that oddly omits hunting.
    "I'm off to spend some time at the top of the food chain..." - (after) Tulloch
    "Oh [dear], they probably heard that in the village!" - RickoShay

Quote Originally Posted by jimo View Post
    I had an 03 with the BMW diesel in. Very reliable for the 100,000 miles I put on it and I think it did around 36mpg mainly around rural roads. The only problem I can remember was a new radiator under warranty. The bosses son has it now and I haven't heard of any problems. Much better in the snow than the Freelander 2.
    +1. I have 53 reg, 170k. Still going great had it 3 years just replaced orignal altinator