Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Cats

Big Cats

I noticed that in Ash's excellent report on his Bedfordshire muntjac stalk the keeper made a reference to big cats in the area.

Whilst stalking reds in Devon with a mate of mine he swore blind that he saw a cougar moving through bracken and the farmer wasn't at all surprised and said that they saw it several times a year.

Does anyone else have any experiences with cats or any views?

North Herefordshire about 10 year ago. Our village was swarming with police and wildlife people.

Sittings in the Forest of Dean aswell.

Jonathon

We had reports here in the Lake District a couple of years ago but nothing has been reported in recent times. Ours was black and seen by two farmers who know livestock.

HWH.

Re: Big Cats

Quote Originally Posted by paul k
    I noticed that in Ash's excellent report on his Bedfordshire muntjac stalk the keeper made a reference to big cats in the area.

Whilst stalking reds in Devon with a mate of mine he swore blind that he saw a cougar moving through bracken and the farmer wasn't at all surprised and said that they saw it several times a year.

Does anyone else have any experiences with cats or any views?
    Haven`t seen one yet but i reckon it`s only a matter of time.
    Reports seem to be more common as time goes on.
    basil.

have to say I am sceptical , these things have been seen for years but no one has found any concrete evidence , no bones no dens no cubs!!!
    More to the point no-one has got lucky and shot one and there is no way over the number of years they have reportadly been about that a stalker or more likely someone out lamping would not have bagged one , just too may people on the ground for them to be missed
    so until I see the body I will remain a sceptic!!!!
    There was a keeper in the midlands who shot a Tiger in his release pen some years ago (with a 12 bore) but I believe that turned out to be a recent escapee
    bogwelly

A farmer of mine told me yesterday that there had been a sighting in our valley,and about 10yrs ago I actually saw one on the downs locally,and,I am not prone to flights of fancy,I know what I saw,and,if there is one in the vicinity and it stands still long enough I will have a pic to show you........................Martin

you get a picture and I will eat my words
    unless of course its a black smudge at half a mile (like they normally are)
    although a body with a big hole in it is far more convincing
    bogwelly

I thought we had done this a week or two back, there are big cats out and about it is a fact not fiction I have seen one les than 10 foot away, I was in Van hence still here and not scattered about Matlock moor in big cat poo
    Paul thought you had heard the leopard tail already at the SD outing

Here's a question then....
    Could you, or would you legally shoot one if you saw it??
    Lets say it was just going about its business as a big cat walking across a field away from you. No threat to you or livestock. Not vermin? Not stated on your FAC. There would be loads of media attention for sure. Could you lose your FAC??!! Worth considering before you pull the trigger maybe?
    MS

there was a programe on tv a few years ago where people said they used to own big cats,but when they were bringing it out that you needed a licence for them they turned them out in the wild.