Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Big Game Air Rifle Hunting?????????

Big Game Air Rifle Hunting?????????

I know this may cause a bit if a stooshie on here, but came across this on utube.

First video had me really sceptical, as the reaction from the sheep was not great. Second video confirms it, the airgun is clearly underpowered compared to a CF rifle as the bullet it fires does not expand or mushroom in the slightest, which can be seen when removed from the animal.

Its stuff like this that suggests the minimum MV/bullet weight/calibre restrictions we have in the UK are perhaps a good thing.

The 175grn bullets are doing around 800fps. Similar to a handgun. I would think head shots would be fine, but body shots don't seem that devastating.

I just don't get the need or desire ​to start playing about with an air gun for hunting.....

An interesting curiosity but otherwise a pointless gimmick as far as I can see. How many shots per charge? one, two? And I bet it ricochets like a rimfire. Neither use nor ornament. If you can't delivery enough shock for an instant put-down on a sheep from 30 yards you're surely using the wrong tools. If that catches on there'll be a lot of maimed animals staggering around Texas dying slowly from infection.
    Apart from anything else I wouldn't want to be wandering around the African bush with only an air-rifle to rely on. I'll bet there was a PH with at least a .375 somewhere behind the cameraman, in which case why not use that in the first place?

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    I just don't get the need or desire ​to start playing about with an air gun for hunting.....
    That should be the beautiful thing about hunting, you don't have to get it, just accept it.

I don't get the need or desire to be a Gun on a driven pheasant hunt, but I don't let that prevent me from acting as a beater or supporting/defending driven pheasant hunting when the situation requires it. In the days of increased anti resistance and faced with more restrictive legislation, I believe it is more important than ever that we all show a united front.

Bow hunting doesn't deliver an instant put down, yet is incredibly popular in the US and other places. Many deer shot in the UK don;t drop immediately on the spot. Does this mean current UK legal deer rifles and ammunition are the 'wrong tools'?

Quote Originally Posted by unlacedgecko View Post
    That should be the beautiful thing about hunting, you don't have to get it, just accept it.

I don't get the need or desire to be a Gun on a driven pheasant hunt, but I don't let that prevent me from acting as a beater or supporting/defending driven pheasant hunting when the situation requires it. In the days of increased anti resistance and faced with more restrictive legislation, I believe it is more important than ever that we all show a united front.
    You misunderstand what I'm saying. The desire to participate in different forms of hunting or fishing I do get. The desire to try and stretch the ethical kill of an animal to using what in my opinion is a borderline suitable weapon I don't...

you speak a lot of sense unlacedgecko , I wish there was more people with your attitude in shooting sports and maybe we wouldn't be in the mess were in now?
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by unlacedgecko View Post
    Bow hunting doesn't deliver an instant put down, yet is incredibly popular in the US and other places. Many deer shot in the UK don;t drop immediately on the spot. Does this mean current UK legal deer rifles and ammunition are the 'wrong tools'?
    There is absolutely no way on earth that the shock factor plays a killing part in dispatching the animals seen in these videos. They stood and took the shot with barely perceptible impact.

The shock and damage caused by a high velocity bullet is extreme, combination of MV and projectile expanding, opposite ends of the spectrum it appears to these air guns. As for an arrow, I agree, no shock factor but if delivered to the heart from what I've seen, an almost instant loss of blood pressure and death follows very quickly as a result of massive trauma caused by the cutting edges of the arrow head.

This air rifle appears to offer neither high shock, nor massive trauma to vital organs...

We don't have to put on a united front at all for a potential unethical hunting discipline that takes place in another country!

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    you speak a lot of sense unlacedgecko , I wish there was more people with your attitude in shooting sports and maybe we wouldn't be in the mess were in now?
    Yep, your right. And I've never read on here anyone suggesting that hunting game with a shotgun or rifle in any form or discipline is out on a limb. But if some **** uses 9 shot on a hare shoot or for a fox, then I guess they deserve our support as well....... At least going by your statement?

Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    Yep, your right. And I've never read on here anyone suggesting that hunting game with a shotgun or rifle in any form or discipline is out on a limb. But if some **** uses 9 shot on a hare shoot or for a fox, then I guess they deserve our support as well....... At least going by your statement?
    whatever..............

have a good day x
    Right where's those stones , I'll start !

Quote Originally Posted by tackb View Post
    whatever..............

have a good day x
    Oh, sorry..... Didn't realise we couldn't reply today for fear of having a different opinion and a debate ensuing....

I guess its similar to why some folk find it necessary to catch tarpon on the fly and fight them for hours on light tackle, when heavier tackle gets them in far quicker and released with less stress. Guess its all about bragging rights for some....