Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hole In The Head

Hole In The Head

I wonder what could have caused this.
    Shot her this morning after initially thinking she'd somehow lost an eye. Imagine my surprise when........
    She seemed to be in perfect health, the wound was clean and showed no infection.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hole In The Head 1.jpg  
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

My money would be on bullet wound. If you still have the head then I'd boil it out and have a look.
    Paul

Could it have been a badly infected suborbital gland, since healed?

Edit: or as it's a roe, an infection in the vestigial remains of the suborbital gland?
    Last edited by csl; 24-02-2014 at 13:40.

I'd go for a bullet wound - be worth cutting the head open to see if there's any traces left. Long time ago, I shot a stag which had a very similar hole (size of a 12g shell) in it's nose, which was the result of a misplaced shot a few weeks before. No broken jaw, nose, sign of infection and plenty of fat about the rest of him.

I would say infection or abscess that has subsequently eaten away the bone & tissue,

or maybe she got into a fight with this fella?

I have seen this before in a red hind kindly handed in by another stalker. There is a gland in front of the eye which produces a sebaceous secretion. If this gets blocked it forms an abscess and bursts destroying the bone of the maxilla and leaving a permanent hole. Can you please tell me a little more about the age, breed and sex of the beast you shot? Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by csl View Post
    Could it have been a badly infected suborbital gland, since healed?

Edit: or as it's a roe, an infection in the vestigial remains of the suborbital gland?

+1 an infected gland

I think Jimmy Simpson knows what he is talking about, when he provides this comprehensive diagnosis, it's his speciality

Quote Originally Posted by jsimpson View Post
    I have seen this before in a red hind kindly handed in by another stalker. There is a gland in front of the eye which produces a sebaceous secretion. If this gets blocked it forms an abscess and bursts destroying the bone of the maxilla and leaving a permanent hole. Can you please tell me a little more about the age, breed and sex of the beast you shot? Jimmy
    Jimmy, the beast was a roe doe, approximately 4 years old. The wound was almost dry and showed no sign of active infection, The hole did not extend into the mouth and there was no sign of dried blood or broken bone.
    I'm glad I got her before the weather got warm and the flies found her.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.