Thread: HMR Hollowpoints

HMR Hollowpoints

Tried some 17 grain hollow point ammo and expected less mess than the ballistic tips..anybody else tried them? Lazered at 68 yards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  

I didn't find them anywhere near as good as the BT's. They did still make a bit of mess. Tbh I imagine it wouldn't matter what bullet you used in a HMR on a squirrel it's going to be a mess

I use them but .17hmr 20grn game point on rabbits long range if I want to use the meat for the pot, as these usually go right through without too much damage if no hard bone is hit, head shots are mostly fine no mess in the game bag from blown open skulls, just a hole in and out?
    Last edited by carlthetrapper; 24-02-2014 at 16:44. Reason: addition

Quote Originally Posted by carlthetrapper View Post
    I use them but .17hmr 20grn game point on rabbits long range if I want to use the meat for the pot, as these usually go right through without too much damage if no hard bone is hit, head shots are mostly fine no mess in the game bag from blown open skulls, just a hole in and out?
    Thats what I was thinking. These are 17 grain,so probably a bit faster, but I didn't expect quite the mess like ballistic tips. It's the first squirrel I've shot with a 17 grain hollow point. I bought one box a couple of years back and haven't really got around to trying them until now.