Zeiss v Pecar

Essexsussex

so, I've been offered a rifle with 2 scope combos.

one is basic rings and a Pecar variable 4-10 1" tube

the other is optilocks and a Zeiss Diavari ZA 1.5-6 x 42 30mm tube (says W Germany if that's a hint to the age, and T* whatever it means.)

both I think serviced but cosmetically not great (clear glass I gather but will check)

the whole outfit goes from £650 with the basic rings and 1" Pecar to £900 with the Zeiss and optilocks

What do you reckon chaps? thanks in advance

The pecars mag range is more well suited for uk stalking in my opinion , but I wouldn't choose either to be honest .

Thanks ACM (why not, out of interest)? I was looking for a Meopta or pecar or something of that standard in 6x42, this will be mainly my hill rifle, and this one came with these offere. Alternatively the rifle and mod becomes 550 on its own, and i figured £100 for the Pecar would be pretty handy.

Have an opti mate on my other rifle which is fine, but thought this sounded a pretty good deal.

Will

Not a lot to choose between old Zeiss and Pecar scopes - pretty much interchangeable in the same way that say s&b and Swarovski are now. Of those two scopes probably not a lot to choose between in terms of quality of optics, although Zeiss t* lenses are magnificent. The 1.5-6x42 will be great for shooter range woodland type work, with 6x plenty for any deer shot on the open hill. 4-10 on the other hand gives you a bit more mag for longer range / smaller targets, with 4x being good enough for closer range work. Not sure if the £250 really justifies the difference, but then Pecar went out of business and thus 2nd hand value seems to have gone down.

Thanks ACM (why not, out of interest)? I was looking for a Meopta or pecar or something of that standard in 6x42, this will be mainly my hill rifle, and this one came with these offere. Alternatively the rifle and mod becomes 550 on its own, and i figured £100 for the Pecar would be pretty handy.

Have an opti mate on my other rifle which is fine, but thought this sounded a pretty good deal.

Will

Sorry will , I don't mean for that to sound quite as snooty as it did , and I agree for £100 that pecar is worth having and will take some beating for value , you'd certainly take a profit on it in the classifieds if that was your intention . I really like the Schmidt fixed powers .

Thanks ACM, didn't think you were being snooty, I knew there was more to it! Always very useful to hear whatever anyone has to say, as i haven't handled any of these better quality scopes before.

thanks Heym, pretty much what i thought. Would either of them likely be waterproof at that age?

Cant speak personally for the Pecar, but have a Zeiss 6x42 of similar vintage - in a claw mount on a combination gun built in 1974, so assume that is the date of the scope. Have been out in pretty we weather and no issues to report. I do however tend to use a gunslip if it's really wet. Pecans were though standard kit for Forestry commission, police and military snipers so that probably answers the question.

If I am correct the Pecar is a 4-10x45? If so these are sometimes sought after, for silly money, by those who want to re-create the Enfield Envoy police sniper rifle of that era.

Now I've trie, I think, d a Zeiss of the model that you mention. Ugh! It is that where the reticule, I'm guessing a post, increases in seize as the magnification increases?

The Zeiss will still, possibly, be serviced and repaired by Zeiss. Pecar are defunct and unless the fellow in the West Midlands can help (and he is seventy years old) any problems and it's in the bin.

It would help to know what the rifle is before making further advice. My gut feeling is that it isn't the bargain that it appears with either 'scope UNLESS the rifle is a modern SAKO or similar and worth on its own at least £ 500 plus. Which you believe that it is.

My advice would be check that the Pecar is image moving (it should have a circle with a white dot in the middle next to the adjustment turrets) and if it is consider punting it on eBay where it may, possibly, make upwards of £ 250. Even going on up to over £300 or more.

Emma Custom Rifles has some not too photegenic looking ones at over £ 500!!!

The Zeiss will struggle to see you back £ 350 on eBay and they are cheaper than that at auction to buy.

Last edited:
If I am correct the Pecar is a 4-10x45? If so these are sometimes sought after, for silly money, by those who want to re-create the Enfield Envoy police sniper rifle of that era.

Now I've trie, I think, d a Zeiss of the model that you mention. Ugh! It is that where the reticule, I'm guessing a post, increases in seize as the magnification increases?

The Zeiss will still, possibly, be serviced and repaired by Zeiss. Pecar are defunct and unless the fellow in the West Midlands can help (and he is seventy years old) any problems and it's in the bin.

It would help to know what the rifle is before making further advice. My gut feeling is that it isn't the bargain that it appears with either 'scope UNLESS the rifle is a modern SAKO or similar and worth on its own at least £ 500 plus. Which you believe that it is.

My advice would be check that the Pecar is image moving (it should have a circle with a white dot in the middle next to the adjustment turrets) and if it is consider punting it on eBay where it may, possibly, make upwards of £ 250. Even going on up to over £300 or more.

Emma Custom Rifles has some not too photegenic looking ones at over £ 500!!!

The Zeiss will struggle to see you back £ 350 on eBay and they are cheaper than that at auction to buy.

£500 for old pecars do not surprise me at all LOL.

Back