What's best in wet tumblers?

I have the Rebel 17, it's better finished than the Thumblers with a powder coated drum (inside as well as outside) and roller bearings, excellent bit of kit.

The JD Reloading kit comes with a magnet stick (very useful!) and also the full 2.2Kg of steel pins, Spud's may be a mis-print but it says it only comes with 1Kg??.

I got a Thumlers tumbler just before the Rebel became available - Although the Thumlers is ok - It works fine and does a great job. But by the look of it, the Rebel is better made & should last longer as it is better engineered. (It's cheaper too!) - I'd have bought the Rebel if it had been available.

Phaedra - Are you sure the bearings are rollers? I thought they are ball race bearings. - Either way they will be better than the nylon bush plain bearings on the Thumlers.

Ian

I have a Thumbler one, my only complaint is the amount of time it takes to clean up after use.
Once all the brass is out it's another hour of cleaning and drying the pins before your done, a lot
of effort to clean smaller quantities of brass.
So I have just bought a 5lb rubber drum which will hold a kilo of pins and about a 100 .223 cases.
Makes a far more sense to me when all you do is a 100 cases at a time.

Neil. :)

Hi Neil
Why do you want to dry the pins? They are stainless. I just leave mine wet.

Ian

OCD :oops:

Not really, the tumbler is used in the kitchen and stored in the lounge, also the drum is mild steel so will rust if left wet.

With the Thumblers you can take out the rubber liner and Hammerite the inside of the drum which will stop it rusting. The Extreme already has it powder coated.

I leave my pins in the drum with in 1" of water with a bit of citric acid dissolved into it.

Yorric - You are correct, they are ball race bearings!.

OCD :oops:

Not really, the tumbler is used in the kitchen and stored in the lounge, also the drum is mild steel so will rust if left wet.

Thanks Neil
I hadn't thought about the drum rusting - I must take the rubber out of mine & paint the inside with Hammerite or similar. (That's what Jon of JD Reloading recomends)

Ian

+1 on the Extreme kit from JD Reloading, you need the full 2.2Kg of pins and the magnet stick is very useful!.

Only problem I had with mine is the lid retaining nuts have nyloc inserts so need a fair bit of tightening to get a proper seal, I have arthritis in my hands so that didn't help!. However, I mentioned it to Jon (JD Reloading) and he kindly got me a set without the nyloc inserts, free of charge too!.

By the time you've added the drum and media you'd be better off getting the Extreme kit from JD Reloading, it has a much higher capacity (7.7Kg/17lbs) and will take upto 300 x .308 size cases.

By the time you've added the drum and media you'd be better off getting the Extreme kit from JD Reloading, it has a much higher capacity (7.7Kg/17lbs) and will take upto 300 x .308 size cases.

But if I do 200 hornet cases, or 100 .223 or 100 7.62x39 it's a big load.
The small drum I have bought for your old Thumbler will take any of those loads with a kilo of pins.

Back