Thread: Neck sizing

Neck sizing

As previous posts new to reloading and finding feet!

I have just ordered a redding neck sizer for my 204 as full sizing at the moment and not too happy with my hornady full sizer die as seems to be working the brass alot!

How often would you neck size before putting the brass through a full size die?

Also I didn't want to get into Annealing yet so roughly how many reloads would I get before I would need to bin brass?

Quote Originally Posted by foxyrich View Post
    Also I didn't want to get into Annealing yet so roughly how many reloads would I get before I would need to bin brass?
    Not many before you need to give it to someone who does own a blow lamp

As for how many loads before you need to bump the shoulders back, depends on how hot your loading.
    My Hornet cases have never been full length sized, and that is after over 20 re-loads.
    The .243 needed it every time on top end loads, every 3 or 4 on sensible loads.

Neil.

My .204 is on its 5th loading, I have only ever neck sized, brass is still going well.

I only neck size .222, .243, .270 and .300WM

IMO FL sizing has as much if not more effect on work hardening brass than simple firing and neck sizing
    none of my cases have been annealled (with the exception of some work hardened "once fired" lapua .243 brass that wouldn't obturate in the chamber!)

hotter the loads and higher the pressures the more you will need to push shoulders back and anneal
    sensible loads and you will get many firings without the need

Similar to Hornet 6 I've never fully resized a 22 Hornet case and only adjust neck tension at that portion of the neck in contact with bullet. Which is not much!

All other cartridges I now fully resize after each firing and adjust neck tension as a separate operation.

Never taken a blowtorch to a case in 30 years of reloading.

K

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I only neck size .222, .243, .270 and .300WM

IMO FL sizing has as much if not more effect on work hardening brass than simple firing and neck sizing
    none of my cases have been annealled (with the exception of some work hardened "once fired" lapua .243 brass that wouldn't obturate in the chamber!)

hotter the loads and higher the pressures the more you will need to push shoulders back and anneal
    sensible loads and you will get many firings without the need
    this is what have been doing for a while,

but in the past week i got some 6mmbr brass from another msite and having problems getting them to chamber, so just waiting to the case trimmer gets hear and i will full size them after a good clean and trim, just hope that pan out ok are its a rather lot of cash to throw in the bin,

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bobjs View Post
    just waiting to the case trimmer gets hear and i will full size them after a good clean and trim,

bob.
    You got me thinking now Bob, when full length sizing I do it before trimming.
    The case will, or could grow during sizing so why trim first ?

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post

Neil.
    i thought this too, in manual it says trim then size but to me it makes more sense to size then trim.

Yes without dout, size and then trim as the case size can change when sizing, you may end up taking unessery brass of doing it the other way.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornet 6 View Post

Neil.
    Quote Originally Posted by foxyrich View Post
    i thought this too, in manual it says trim then size but to me it makes more sense to size then trim.
    Hi Neil/Foxy.

I need someone to order the case trimmer for me as i don't do paypal and here in doors does not do internet shopping (got stung a few years back with a rug when on holiday) so ill have to wait

anyway i will now do the following as the 6mm br i have is not going to fit in the rifle i have,

lube, full size, trim debur and then ultrasonic clean, inspect and load.

i think when i first had my first 20 tac a fare few years back i was doing it wrong (well as far as this routine is concerned) and i found i had a few problems with the cases after fl sizing them,

not now and the brass i have is only on its 2nd reload so i have a wee while to wait yet, but im hoping this will prove that lube, full size, trim debur and then ultrasonic clean, inspect and load.is the way to go.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube