Fallkniven F1

Mat

I took one my target shooting buddies out on a stalk, I got him to bring a knife as I knew he has a few, he brought his Fallkniven F1. I got him onto a young fallow doe which he shot (nice easy shot about 50 yards from a highseat). Then I did the gralloch with his knife...

B*gger me, I could not believe how sharp it was: sliced it open with no effort. So effortless in fact the I managed to nick my thumb! I thought my Mora was sharp, but this was something else! :oops:

Still, it was the first time the knife was used properly :evil: Not just there to be admired as finely engineered bit of kit that it is... I did point out beforehand that a plastic sheath is somewhat easier to keep clean, in the end I wrapped it in a food bag before it went back in the leasther :lol:

At 100 quid I'm not sure I'll be buying one anytime soon, though I might invite my mate back :D

Mat, I got the Fallkniven for a birthday present a few years ago. It has made all other knives redundant. As you say, it takes a great edge (something I am not good at doing) and it keeps it.

I dressed a Sika stag with mine a few nights ago, took the head off also, knife was still very sharp afterwards.

I think mine cost around £65 when I got it, there was a plastic sheath available as an option at that time, but I went for an open topped leather Ray Mears style sheath.

Love it.

Fallniven

I have a Fallniven F1 and it is the doegs dangly bits,

laminated VG10 blade and it holds an egde better than anything I have ever had before.

I went for leather sheath as well.

Boy do they take an edge...I nearly cut my finger off with my H1. It went through to the bone with no effort at all! :oops:

8 years plus two sessions of microsurgey later it's still numb!

Lesson: never cut towards yourself.

I've had a look around and I can get a Fallkniven U2 for under £60 posted - it looks like it's fine for gralloching, it should take and hold a good edge. The F1 looks like more than I need, I mean it's not like need to split logs on any stalking I do :D

Anyone used a Fallkniven U2?

I use the Fallkniven S1, 5" blade & Zytel sheath, perfect for Muntjac up to Red.

And of course the odd log splitting :eek: ;)

ATB

Max

The U2 isn't a folding F1, it's quite a lot smaller and the handle is rather slim. A lovely little knife but one to peel your lunchtime apple with. I'm not a big fan of folders for gralloching...too many places for goo to get trapped.

I suppose it's personal preference but I find even the handle of the F1 a bit hard & slim.

The H1 handle is a wonderful thing to use - a softer material than the hard Thermorun handle of the F1 but the blade is less forgiving and a bit thick. Sold mine and now only use clippers! So much easier to sharpen and don't break your heart when you lose them.

If you like a short bladed Fallkniven try a WM1. Better still, get a WM1 blade and put a proper handle on it. When I was selling Fallknivens I had a few of these done for people and they were all delighted.

I have an F1 and agree that it's a really nice knife, however I find the blade profile just a tad broad for the more intricate cuts. These days I generally use a Frosts Mora in dayglo orange. Cheap, replaceable and difficult to lose, especially in one of Ash's excellent sheaths! :D

Alex

Max said:
csl

What are the more"intricate" cuts :confused:

Max
It's probably just me being cack handed but I find it easier to free off round the back passage/urethra and also to get at the ligaments in the atlas joint with a narrower blade with a sharper point.

Alex

knife001.jpg

AH HA csl, all becomes clear now ;)

When you find kit that you work well with it just makes the task easier.

Good hunting

Max

Back