Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shot Fee?

Shot Fee?

I am very new to this game and will be relying on paid outings for some time I feel - until I have sufficient experience and find the holy grail of my own stalking.

With this in mind and reading various adverts for stalking, I am amazed to see a fair few have a 'shot fee'. Now don't get me wrong, I get the fee for an outing (someones time) and the trophy fees and buying the venison, but a shot fee?! You are booking stalking, not deer watching, and to me stalking requires a shot, surely?!

Am I missing something, whats the thought behind this and how common actually is it?

Thanks.

I have just seen another thread from a year ago and it seems this has been done to death, apologies, I didn't see the thread first time I searched.

There is no delete thread button I can see...

Karl,if you find the delete button you may be charged a nominal fee

if you find it karl let us all know , it might be under correction? dont cut mine its a very fine one im hanging on with.
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 25-02-2014 at 21:07.
    DONT START

Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    I am very new to this game and will be relying on paid outings for some time I feel - until I have sufficient experience and find the holy grail of my own stalking.

With this in mind and reading various adverts for stalking, I am amazed to see a fair few have a 'shot fee'. Now don't get me wrong, I get the fee for an outing (someones time) and the trophy fees and buying the venison, but a shot fee?! You are booking stalking, not deer watching, and to me stalking requires a shot, surely?!

Am I missing something, whats the thought behind this and how common actually is it?

Thanks.
    It can be worse. How about prof. stalkers who charge 100 for missing a shot? Seen advertised recently.

I run a B&B. Maybe I should charge my customers for having a bad night's sleep and subsequently missing out on their breakfast?
    My wife runs a gardening business. I advised her to charge her customers for not watering the plants and missing a strip when cutting the lawn
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    It can be worse. How about prof. stalkers who charge 100 for missing a shot? Seen advertised recently.
    I never did when i was guiding a client, but seeing it from both sides if the pro stalker needs to make a living and his client misses a deer with perhaps a venison value of 200+ the client goes home feeling a little sorry for his mistake, the pro goes home a lot lighter in his pocket.
    Cheers
    Richard

I'm new to the stalking world but also don't see what all the fuss is about. Paying a shot fee maintains an incentive for the professional stalker to put one onto a deer. No different from many jobs, you get paid a base salary, plus performance related commission/bonus.

Surely paying an outing fee maintains the incentive - its not an outing to 'look' at deer is it?!

As said on previous threads gents if you don't like what you hear then vote with your feet and go elsewhere. There are plenty of guides that don't charge a trigger fee.
    Regards
    Jimmy

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by karlbird View Post
    Surely paying an outing fee maintains the incentive - its not an outing to 'look' at deer is it?!
    No-one is forced to pay an outing fee, a shot fee, a missed shot fee, an AW fee, a trophy fee or any sort of fee whatever. The onus is on the client to understand what fees he could be liable for, and the onus is on the guide to make sure the fee structure is clear and defined.

The fact that you object to paying certain fees is your prerogative, exactly as it is the guide's prerogative to structure the fees in any way they see fit. They have to compete in the open market and so build their fee structure based on their specific experience.

If you don't like the fee structure then don't go out with that guide....simple.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!