Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck!!!!

If it wasn't for bad luck I'd have no luck!!!!

Finally managed to find an hour today to go and zero my new Swarovski 8* x 56. Had 2 days stalking roe does arranged for tomorrow & Monday so really looking forward to trying out and getting familiar with the new set up.

Anyway long story short settling down to take 6th shot and blow me theres a big dark line running diagonally across the reticule. Looking through the objective lens I think I can see what looks like a disk or lens that seems to have become detatched.

Recently in another thread Griff made the observation (after I had purchased the scope) that Swarovski scopes were prone to developing faults on moderated rifles. I have subsequently heard this from another source and wondered if anyone had direct experience of this. (and should I therefore swap it for something else if the dealer is agreeable)

A bit p155ed off at the moment and have had to cancel tomorrow's outing, but off to Continental Shooting Supplies in the morning to see if they can do anything that'll get me sorted for Mondays Stalk.

Scopes can break, some more... some less.
    S&B would be my choice. Very good strength and reliability vs weight ratio.
    There is more than optics to a scope.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by ejg
    Scopes can break
    After 1 week out of the box and 6 rounds though?

Quote Originally Posted by ejg
    Scopes can break, some more... some less.
    S&B would be my choice. Very good strength and reliability vs weight ratio.
    There is more than optics to a scope.
    edi
    +1 on the S&B

Stringer, thats unusual for swaro.
    Always good to have one or two back-up scopes lying around.

I bought a 6x42 no name scope from a chinese company at the IWA for 20 Euro. It stinks like an old tyre but the glas is quite ok. While waiting for my schmidt to come back from a turret change I had this cheapy on my 308 and even shot a nice spike with it. Holds zero perfect... for now.
    Anything just not miss a days shooting.

edi

Swarovski Scope

Hi, I would not right Swarovski Scopes off, i have a 8x56 on my .270 + Mod for over 2 years no problems at all, very good scope, as for scopes with use with mods it was all the talk a few years back saying this scope done this and every scope you can think of had faults, its up to you and what you buy, sounds like you have been unlucky or every Swarovski would be doing the same? best of luck in the new year, Wullie.

Thanks for the replies guys. The dealer was good enough to allow me to exchange it. I had the choice of a few makes but decided to give Swaro another chance. He only had the 8 x 50 in stock so got some Butler Creeks, a box of ammo and some cash back Hopefully its just been bad luck.

All the best Stephen

So did the dealer say what the problem was?

I have used a Swaro 8x56 for over 4 years now and it has never let me down (2000 rounds) plus the rifles it has been perched on were moderated.Mind, I can't see how a moderater could affect a scope.

I hope you have better look with your replacement

Quote Originally Posted by scotspine
    So did the dealer say what the problem was?

I have used a Swaro 8x56 for over 4 years now and it has never let me down (2000 rounds) plus the rifles it has been perched on were moderated.Mind, I can't see how a moderater could affect a scope.

I hope you have better look with your replacement
    Dealer said he had never come across it before. He had heard of a hanfull of cases where the reticules had become detached when used with moderators a few years ago. Aparantly now they are etched on to the glass so it is supposed to be a thing of the past. Fingers crossed - out with it tomorrow

Scotspine, the moderator can create a second pulse i.e. opposite to the recoil (forward push), this is what was blamed a few years ago and apparently caused swaro to change to etched reticles.

Maybe this pulse has dislodged something but in 6 rounds it has to be a genuine manufacturing fault surely. Bad luck and I feel sure this could have happened wth any make.

Hopefully better luck with the new one.