Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bullet shortage, Cast your own?

Bullet shortage, Cast your own?

As above. I wonder if it will come to this! I was going to post it tongue in cheek but the I read a thread that came up in the search box that actually makes it look like a possibility. Imagine years in the future with your group of hunting mates casting lead boolits and talking about the old times when you could buy them ready made. ..... perhaps I should go to bed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry270 View Post
    As above. I wonder if it will come to this! I was going to post it tongue in cheek but the I read a thread that came up in the search box that actually makes it look like a possibility. Imagine years in the future with your group of hunting mates casting lead boolits and talking about the old times when you could buy them ready made. ..... perhaps I should go to bed.
    Why wait? Making your own bullets adds an extremely satisfying dimension to reloading. When properly made and prepared, cast bullets will deliver amazing accuracy. Here we have no restrictions on bullets so I use cast bullets on game (large and small)with no reservations. I have about 110 molds in various calibers from 5mm to .600" and use them. Yesterday I got out my two favorite 7mm molds to produce bullets for my 7mm-08. I'll be using them for off hand practice from my Tikka as my supply of 120 grain Sierras has run dry with me having only 500 on hand. I'll save them for hunting and practice with light charges and cast bullets.~Muir

Might be a little more difficult in the UK. I cast my own bullets for a variety of target shooting activities (muzzle loading rifle & pistol, obsolete cal centrefire etc), but these are all fairly low powered. The problem would be working up a good accurate load that would be deer legal. I'm not saying it couldn't be done but it may take a lot of time and effort.

Sometime ago I loaded up some lead rounds for a .303. Even gas checked, the fastest I could (fairly) accurately push the 185 grain lead bullet was about 1800 fps, which is 1331 ft lbs. OK for the Munties and CWD but not for the larger species. This was a solid bullet as well, I don't know about the effect of a hollow point bullet on speed and accuracy.

I know Muir makes boolits that work well at 2400fps or more. I too cast my own and recently chronographed my .308 170gr cast boolits at 2600fps. Accurate as well as fast.
    Making them is an art and a science and needs a bit of studying and the right equipment. A lot of pleasure is to be gained from this aspect of our sport.

SD Regular
    Linotype, if you can now get it, made good rifle bullets and could be pushed over the "magic" 2,450fps below which any bullet bounces off the skin of any deer. Now that linotype is difficult to come by you'd have to use lead and tin mixed with...if obtainable...antimony to make your own equivalent mix.

The old way of paper patching a bullet rather than have the naked lead in contact with the barrel steel also worked for our forebears. There is a good 1990s era American book "Shooting the paper patched bullet" that still circulates on that.

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    The old way of paper patching a bullet rather than have the naked lead in contact with the barrel steel also worked for our forebears. There is a good 1990s era American book "Shooting the paper patched bullet" that still circulates on that.
    I wondered how long before the magic words “GRAPHITE WADS” would be mentioned!

K

I cast for my 444marlin, 310gr flat nosed, gas checked. They run at 2100-2200 fps with no leading problems, it punches hard, and I've not seen any of them bounce off any deer, but, I'm not in Scotland where they wear body armour (except roe that you can shoot with a 222) and they work a treat on foxes too.
    They shoot 1 1/2 - 2 MOA which is plenty accurate for its use.
    To be honest, once the factory ammo I have is used, I can't see a reason to ever put copper through that barrel again.

Pete
    Sako TRG-42 folder .338LM🔫 Sako TRG-22 .308/.260🔫 Tikka 595 .222(NV'd up) 🔫 AR15 .223/300BLK 🔫Franchi 12g 520 9shot🔫Baikal .410 stealth🔫Ruger #1.243

Home | Varminting UK

Regular Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post

I really enjoy watching Larry Potterfield of Midway USA and he shows casting lead bullets and both waxing and papering the bullets in the video below. His "workshop" is incredible but then so is his attention to detail.

I have heard of chat in the US that individuals are now hoarding all the lead they can due, not just to the lack of available factory made bullets, but also the closing of certain domestic lead smelters.
    Last edited by Foss; 26-02-2014 at 10:53.

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyrog View Post
    I know Muir makes boolits that work well at 2400fps or more. I too cast my own and recently chronographed my .308 170gr cast boolits at 2600fps. Accurate as well as fast.
    Making them is an art and a science and needs a bit of studying and the right equipment. A lot of pleasure is to be gained from this aspect of our sport.
    This is true.
    It is an entire 'nother discipline. Once mastered, it makes loading and shooting jacketed bullets seem dead easy.~Muir