Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wing clipped poults.

Wing clipped poults.

One of our members has suggested buying wing clipped poults which i think the suggestion will get thrown out when read at our AGM. I am against this practice due to the vermin risk.
    Anyone got thoughts on this to give me "ammo" on the day?
    P.S. What prices are you being quoted for poults this year as we may get two suppliers to try their quality in seperate locations?
    Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOT View Post
    One of our members has suggested buying wing clipped poults which i think the suggestion will get thrown out when read at our AGM. I am against this practice due to the vermin risk.
    Anyone got thoughts on this to give me "ammo" on the day?
    P.S. What prices are you being quoted for poults this year as we may get two suppliers to try their quality in seperate locations?
    Thanks!!
    All my opinion but
    a) I have all my poults wing-clipped. I'm confident I can keep my foxes on the outside of the pen. What I can't do is keep the owls out. An owl attack on the first couple of nights with unclipped birds could result in lots of poults ending up jugging outside where they're certain to be predated.
    Its personal choice really. If I had enormous pens with low stocking densities then maybe I would go for the unclipped option but as it is, I just like that extra little bit of control.

b)3.80 Unchanged from last season.

c) Stick with one supplier- you'll have better terms to negotiate and there's less likelihood of disease problems.

how early are you getting said poults red dot?
    Official Sponsor to Team GB F Class

Our "new" poults are on offer for 3.20 from N.I. delivered..
    Date to be confirmed but we get ours earlier than other local shoots.

For years I always wing clipped but after trying not clipping for a season I stuck to it ever since. There were various advantages I found in not clipping but as always with keepering it depends on a variety of circumstances. I had one pen on steep ground where you had to clip as the buzzards would spook the poults and they could take off and clear the lower fence if fully feathered.
    But in general I would not go back to clipping.

I totally agree but both have their disadvantages. Ground vermin like weasles mink etc can easily devastate a pen and airborne pests can emply a pen of roosting birds and lay them open to fox.
    Dilemma!!

I must say, as long as they're only lightly clipped, a low 50m flight to avoid a stoat should still be possible.

The only advantage is that when you walk around the pen is that you don't have to spend ages walking them back in. I got wing clipped poults a few years ago (not by request) and it was a complete nightmare you are far more likely to lose a lot of birds if anything gets into the pen.

I've found that if they're not wing clipped they will begin to roost a few days after the are released into the pen, and all my pheasants have their release pen opened after 7 days of getting them (couldn't do that if they are clipped)

I personally would rather spend longer walking the birds back into the pen than constantly worry if something happens at the pen e.g electric wire fails how many I'm going to find dead by a fox.

stacey

Well take your choice
    I always clip the wings, birds need time to aclimatise
    (with a good electric fence of course)
    using open top pens I have seen 1000 pounds worth
    of 7 week old pheasants panic and simultaneously fly out
    of the pen to four corners of the compass first day !!

Quote Originally Posted by Crosshair243 View Post
    All my opinion but
    a) I have all my poults wing-clipped. I'm confident I can keep my foxes on the outside of the pen. What I can't do is keep the owls out. An owl attack on the first couple of nights with unclipped birds could result in lots of poults ending up jugging outside where they're certain to be predated.
    Its personal choice really. If I had enormous pens with low stocking densities then maybe I would go for the unclipped option but as it is, I just like that extra little bit of control.

b)3.80 Unchanged from last season.

c) Stick with one supplier- you'll have better terms to negotiate and there's less likelihood of disease problems.
    As above tried unclipped one year and a large portion hopped out in the night through tawny owls I could hear them my house is 200 yards from main pen so vowed never again as there was a large amount killed in the night .
    up to you but once they are dead they're dead !
    norma