Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Sudbury Butchers window display

Fetch some popcorn! This ones a cracker!

Here’s a good one for debate!
    I was sent this picture by a friend of mine who is also a fellow stalker as well as working in the meat wholesale industry. This was taken this weekend (Sat 12th Oct) in a butcher shop in East Anglia. (that’s as much as needs to be said!).
    Attachment 33493
    It clearly shows a Roe Doe hanging with its head and front legs still attached above a load of other meat and produce. When he asked the butcher if he knew what it was, he had no idea that it was wrong!
    My mate then asked him what traceability he had and how he knew it was good to enter the food chain. Who had inspected it and declared it good? The butcher replied that he knew it was ok as it was shot by a local farmer on his own land. He then went on to explain that it was definitely ok as he inspected it that morning when he gutted it on the premises as it was still slightly warm! “Still warm?” asked my mate. “Yes, it was shot last night under the lamp,” came the reply! I have no idea what it was shot with at this stage.
    Needless to say he has reported this incident to Environmental Health, Police (Wildlife Crimes) and the local FLO. It will be interesting to see what happens!
    Sadly, it would appear that neither party know (YET!) that they have done anything wrong! So here’s a couple of questions to get the ball rolling!

1. Is this not a prime example of why anyone shooting deer should have some kind of training or qualification to ensure that they do know what is right or wrong?
    2. Is it down to us more responsible stalking types to educate local venison outlets as to what is right or wrong?

What concerns me most, is that I do occasionally sell venison to local outlets (not this one!). What is to stop a local butcher from buying in poached carcasses or even roadkill and then covering their arse with my traceability documentation? There is a wild game guide which was issued by the government but never seemed to make it past the draft stage. It saddens me greatly to see such things as we are constantly trying to build bridges with getting wild venison recognised as a trusted and reliable product. Then it all comes crashing down because of some idiot who claims he didn't know it was wrong. What is definitely wrong, is such people being in possession of a FAC with a condition for deer on it! (Thats' assuming that this is the case here? Probably just as likely that it was a .22 Rimfire!)
    Over to you.......
    MS

Unbelevable on so many accounts. I wouldn't have thought it would have done his sales any good having Bambi hanging there. It will be good to hear the outcome of this if any.

Fingers crossed something gets done, but all to often in these cases I wouldn't hold my breath.
    Wingy

Did your mate get his Autograph by any chance MS he'll soon be Famous...!
    Truth be told he's probably not the only one. As already said it'll be an interesting debate !
    "let him without sin cast the first stone"

Looks like a photoshop hoax to me.
    The Roe looks very unnatural in relation to the rest of the game and the head is hanging at an awkward, upright angle.
    I would bet against it being a Butcher's shop in East Anglia personally

I'm more concerned that the Easter bunny is hanging by the side

Quote Originally Posted by Naseby View Post
    Looks like a photoshop hoax to me.
    The Roe looks very unnatural in relation to the rest of the game and the head is hanging at an awkward, upright angle.
    I would bet against it being a Butcher's shop in East Anglia personally
    I doubt it was hung up in a larder prior to delivery mate!
    How much would you be willing to wager?
    MS

I didn't think butchers were allowed to hang game in fur and feather,I know the butcher I supply too isn't everything has to be skinned or plucked
    unless your mate actually saw this hanging I would say its a hoax

Quote Originally Posted by see it shoot it View Post
    I didn't think butchers were allowed to hang game in fur and feather,I know the butcher I supply too isn't everything has to be skinned or plucked
    unless your mate actually saw this hanging I would say its a hoax
    Where do you think the picture came from?