Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cerakote Micro Slick Coating. Is it worth the effort?

Thumbs up Cerakote Micro Slick Coating. Is it worth the effort?

Managed to get my barrels out to paint earlier this week. Fairly local so Dropped them off there.

Lets just say Wow! very very sweet set up, very nice gentleman, very knowledgeable about his trade and passion. The biggest and baddest gun cabinet i have ever seen and talk about spotless work shop. I'm very jealous when comparing to my place, i will not even let the dogs eat of my floor, Tactical Coatings floor was spot less. Thank you Jay for sparing the time to show me around, i couldn't take it all in but you do have the patients of a saint, So thank you for that.

The reason for the post is, because i have nothing better to do at the moment i spent time reading up on Cerakote and the processes, other products and there uses.
    I then came across Micro Slick, by NIC industries, same as Cerakote, and that it is used on bearing surfaces and sliding parts like the internal on a glock style firearms.
    So im taking it that it can be used on the bolt slide of a semiauto shot gun. it says that you will not need to oil or grease the moving parts. this for me would be fantastic as i do a lot of pigeon shooting, i shoot from sitting down as i cant stand for long but this means i get more dust and crud in the gun. this sticks to the oils and then gums up really bad resulting in a total strip once a month. once a fortnight in the summer months. and to clean it is a day affair for me.

the question is, how hard wearing is this stuff, is it as good at they make out or is it just another way to gum up my internal. has any one had any dealing with it please

Thanks for looking.

Kind regards
    Phil

I dont see the need for any fancy coating other than blueing/blacking , if you clean your bang stick and oil it after each trip out it will generally function perfectly for decades , in any climate / conditions. If youve got spare cash you`ll always find someone to take it off you.

Got to disagree with that. No way will this semi auto last decade. It might just about make it to a decade.
    Salt marsh decoying. Pigeon decoying. Roost shooting and crow bashing has taken its toll.
    The none rust coating on the barrel had rust spotting. The inturnals are worn and are. Wing replaced as we speak.
    Semiautos are not like your o/u or sbs. Their is more moving parts. I have rebuilt some right dogs for people but I was hoping mine would last longer.

Anyone know anything about the micro slick?

Workshop spotless, not very busy then? Having ran my own engineering business, ran and manged workshops for that Germany company that has a 3 pointed star, worked for RR, I can say that spotless workshop meant we were not busy, when you have lots of work rolling in it was anyways hard to keep up on the house keeping.

Just my experience, they could be different of cause.

ATB

Tahr

Very busy actully.
    Dirty work shop equals dirty work.
    Always told the same by a number of aerospace engineer's and a very good friend that has built a very good engineering company who premmises are spotless, he would loose the contract otherwise.
    Just because your busy there is no need to have a dirty workshop. Those that say that don't have time to tidy because they are to busy would not get my work as that is no excuse, just lazyness.

Quote Originally Posted by activeviii View Post
    Got to disagree with that. No way will this semi auto last decade. It might just about make it to a decade.
    Salt marsh decoying. Pigeon decoying. Roost shooting and crow bashing has taken its toll.
    The none rust coating on the barrel had rust spotting. The inturnals are worn and are. Wing replaced as we speak.
    Semiautos are not like your o/u or sbs. Their is more moving parts. I have rebuilt some right dogs for people but I was hoping mine would last longer.

Anyone know anything about the micro slick?
    Im basing my theory on assault firearms having been a soldier , Ive carried numerous types including full auto in nearly all climates ,only time we ever had problems was with poor quality ammo ,sure extractors and ejectors can break but Ive never known a bolt to be replaced .Weapons were always stripped and cleaned , that's the secret.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    Hi A.

As in the pm,

my boss and i have just had some work done by james at Jager SA (and i have some more to be done) and the work is top notch and my boss was over the moon with what he has done,(he even took photos of the work before during and after for my boss's records) and i found the price to be spot on for the work that james has done, but what i wanted to ask was did you have anything done?with micro slick and if so what was done and what was the costs,

my boss is a top man but like all people who have money" as soon as they here who he is you can hear and see the money tilt light come on in thier eyes, James is not included in that statement by the way" ...my boss likes to spend it well rather than being silly with it.

regards

bob
    Last edited by bobjs; 28-02-2014 at 13:40.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

Hello Bob,

Pm sent back it you, i forgot to add the photo be i'll put it up here.

I had a number of rifle barrels and actions done, the price was very simular to Jager's but i didnt have to RFD so saved there.

I didn't know about the Micro Slick at the time when i asked for the work to be carried out but they did see the post on here and had a sample ready to show me. My cock up again as i would have asked for the bolts and internals coated at the same time. I would have had the barette urika 2 internals done as well. in fact when i have spare cash again i will have more things done.

Here is a photo of the one that im putting back together, not taken the photo to show the workman ship but more for my stupidity. guess i forgot to send something to paint.

I think i need a swap on an item.

Thanks for your in put bob

All the best

Phil.

So going back to the OP do we know anything about this wonder substance? I'm a keeper and as such have a very dirty workshop and an even dirtier benelli so not having to add oil to the mix of twigs blood and poo that normally clogs the gun would be a real bbon for me.
    “There's a lot of things blamed on me that never happened. But then, there's a lot of things that I did that I never got caught at.”
    Johnny Cash

It would seam to be fairly new over here but i have been reading about it on US forums and it would seam to be a good thing on rifle bolts. I did have a quick look at some bits that Tactol coating had done and, apart form the colour i did like the idea.
    i have since found they do an oven cure, h-109 as well as the air cure p=110, the air cure withstands higher temperatures and the oven cure is a little harder. they also do a few different colours.

the only one on the NIC Industries web sit is the p-110 but apparently you have to phone to ask for the other ones. only what im reading on the forums.

from what i have found, there was one guy in the state that put 500 rounds through a AR15, no lube at all. he cleaned it with a dry cloth and any crud just wiped right off.

In this video is shows the blue/gray coating on the bolt/carrier. no lube no problems.

I think, for a rifle, 500 rounds on the bolt would be more that good enough, i will have the Urika bolt and carrier painted and let you know as to the wear.