View Poll Results: Do you make them shoot a test card?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Always

18 48.65%
  • Never, I am a trusting type

1 2.70%
  • Only if they are new to me

15 40.54%
  • Only if I don't like the look of them or their kit

1 2.70%
  • None of the above!

2 5.41%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting a test group/card

Shooting a test group/card

How many guides (by that I mean stalkers that take out others, either professionally or recreationally) make their guests shoot a test group before a stalk.?
    Last edited by Offroad Gary; 27-02-2014 at 12:12. Reason: Spelling

all our clients are asked to demonstrate their shooting proficiency, with coaching to achieve the standard if required.

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    when i used to stalk on a regular basis and when being a mentor it was part and parcel of the days outing, and i would take the time to check zero too.

bob.
    Last edited by bobjs; 27-02-2014 at 12:54.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I always want to see any new guest shoot a test group. It gives me a good idea of their ability and ensures the kit is zeroed and working correctly. Once they have shot a suitable group there is no need to repeat each time out but the offer is always there.

Yes happy days but how do you do that at 3.30am on a summers morning pre roe buck outing ? Anyone i take for a stalk is expected to bring a zeroed rifle anyone without previous experience would be given tuition and taken for pm stalk ,this is how I was taught on my first guided outings .
    norma

SD Regular
    In the days of hard cases...either full length leather or modern aluminium or plastic...a rifle shouldn't lose zero during a journey. But in a soft case there is always the risk that it might get a knock. I once zeroed a rifle and got home and as I was putting it in my cabinet dropped it on the foresight. The foresight ramp being the screw on Williams type. So it got knocked.

So merely by taking it off and putting it back on straight with a new screw that was the zero all gone west! Even though it was with a telescopic sight. I know because I shot a test group the very first thing when I next took it out to use. It had moved the group a full TWO FEET from the original zero.

So I would always take the chance to fire a test group. This isn't target shooting it is shooting a live animal. And irrespective of any safety concerns of where the bullet goes if it is a clean miss we should at least be certain that we will get a hit at the point where desired. If only for the sake of killing cleanly and quickly and as humanely as possible.
    Last edited by enfieldspares; 27-02-2014 at 13:29.

Quote Originally Posted by norma 308 View Post
    Yes happy days but how do you do that at 3.30am on a summers morning pre roe buck outing ? Anyone i take for a stalk is expected to bring a zeroed rifle anyone without previous experience would be given tuition and taken for pm stalk ,this is how I was taught on my first guided outings .
    norma
    New guests have to do a p.m. stalk.
    They are of course expected to bring a zeroed rifle....

Every time clients come with me they go to the range, no exceptions

Al

The DMG i am part of has a shooting test annually and six monthly for trainees. If you have not done the test or it has lapsed you are prohibited from shooting until you have attended a range test and been signed off again. You can never cover all your bases on a poll like this!

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger22 View Post
    Every time clients come with me they go to the range, no exceptions

Al
    so you only take them out in the evening.

all our clients are asked to demonstrate their shooting proficiency, with coaching to achieve the standard if required.

so if they need coaching on a target, how do you coach them on a single shot on a deer.