Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which nv add on

Which nv add on

Looking for some advice. I want to buy a nv unit it will mainly be used for rabbiting and a bit of foxing in winter. Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by tikka 3006 View Post
    Looking for some advice. I want to buy a nv unit it will mainly be used for rabbiting and a bit of foxing in winter. Cheers
    Look at the starlight ARROW. It's new, only just released. It's what I am thinking of getting for rabbits and fox. I have the Yukon Photon which is great with the additional T20 Ir but it ties a rifle up for NV only.

Well a simple question needs a simple answer. Buy a nv addon.
    now, start with some questions,
    how much money do you have to spend?
    what scope are you using?
    how far do you need to see?
    are you intending to use a laser or a torch?
    are you going to use the nv most of the time? I use my nv about 95% of the time
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

I am allowing 600 to 700
    on my rabbit rifle is a viper vortex pst second focal plane ir and on my foxing rifle is a minox non ir
    for the rabbits out to 150 yards and the foxes maximum 250 yards
    I intend on using the nv the majority of the time. In relation to the laser or torch which is better

To get the best out of an addon nv is a combination of
    nv unit,
    scope,
    ir illumination.

for the money you are looking at a digital unit and they can be more fussy as to scope. Unit wise you are looking at the archer arrow, which is in the process of being released, Marky 610 has developed the nite tek, there is also the nitesite.there may be others but they don't spring to mind, some one will add to the list I'm sure.

Illumination is laser, firefly, n1000 etc, these are about the size of a pen and the battery will last for about 60 hours. But because the glass is so small that any marks can show up and they often show concentric circles. Therefore the image isn't as "clean" as it could be. And you will need to clean the lens. Price ranges from 100 to 300 ish. Or ir torch such as the nightmaster, it is bulkier, the batteries don't last as long but it gives a very clean image, also some of the lads on the nightvision forum are now producing led ir and they are very cheap.

Scope. I don't know anyone using a vortex so I am inclined to thin that max range for you will be about 150 yards. The more you up the zoom. The more the image will dim.

with the right combination and the right conditions you will see out to 300 yards. But just because you see a pair of eyes in the distance doesn't mean they are a fox. Unless you can positively id the target body shape don't take the shot. There are too many horror stories. When stalkers talk about backstops and safety when out after deer well this is doublely important at night because you have such a limited field of view.
    I may be teaching people to suck eggs here but it is so important, you must 100% be able to identify the body of the target otherwise you are going to shoot the wrong thing. I nearly shot a little owl a couple of times because I could see the eye shine on the ground. It was only that I held off because I knew it was a rabbit but I couldn't see the body then realised it wasn't a bunny.
    SO JUST TO BANG ON ABOUT IT. SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY.

there is a lot of experimentation with nv to get the best combination. Some people have a hawk and they say it will do what they need, which is fine, but there is better that will see farther.

your other option is to go to the nightvisionforumuk and as the paper man says READ ALL ABOUT IT.
    If you can solder you can have a go at making your own.

a point to note. I thought nv was not legal over in Ireland, or did I dream that?

i use to shoot out Bandon way, ohhhhhhh a few years ago now. We weren't allowed moderators then and a 22.250 was the largest calibre you could own and was used for deer. Shows how long ago that was.
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

If you dont want to make your own I would look at Marky610s add ons NT300 and IR illuminators T20 which are LED CREE based

www.nightvisionforumuk.com View forum - Nite-Tek

Photon or Starlight Arrow we have used both extensively. Any IR such as a night master nm400, Pulsar x850, or the new Fox Fire T20-v which Scott Country have coming soon will be ideal. You don't really need something too powerful as you will be forever turning the power down to adjust for over exposure etc. Some suit people better than others but these days you don't need to spend loads on an IR.

Sorry, but for the sake of transparency, are TheNVShow and Scott Country one and the same?

Thanks.
    George

[QUOTE=TheNVShow; the new Fox Fire T20-v which Scott Country have coming soon will be ideal. You don't really need something too powerful as you will be forever turning the power down to adjust for over exposure etc. Some suit people better than others but these days you don't need to spend loads on an IR.[/QUOTE]

Sorry but who ever you are. Marky610 T20 IR's do not bleach out the image as the pressure switch on the unit gives 3 different levels of brightness. I use them on a DFA75 sight and a 750 recon spotter .

Will the Fox Fire T20 be the same price as a Marky one?

Some people make them others just copy!

The single mod T20 is fine, all you do is turn the focus out to flood beam and if there was any wash out then this will clean it up. I have never had an issue with my T20's blowing the image out. i use on a photon. love the set up but it did need the extras added. as in doubler, big button on the focus ring and one of my T20's

From speaking to SC they said that the basic unit was 349 and with a T20 it was 399.