Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: witch one

witch one

Ever faithful 243 or 6.5x55 for deer only, no paper tearing, , doug.
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 27-02-2014 at 23:34.
    DONT START

An age old question, to which (not witch!) I would ask, what deer do you intend to shoot?
    Have you shot any yet, and what with? Purpose will dictate choice above personal preference.
    Tell us what you need it for and we can then tell you what you need!
    MS

I have both, a Sauer in 6.5x55 and a Blaser in 243. If I had to choose a caliber it would be the 6.5x55.

ATB

T

Do you intend to reload for the rifle?

While the .243 is capable of taking all deer in the UK subject to range & POI limitations on large red stags, in my view the 6.5x55 would be the better choice. ATB
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

got both but always use 6.5 for deer (shot all 6 with it) i love it, 243 is now my fox rifle. but it is a back up incase of malfunction in 6.5. however getting 30.06 for boar and deer.

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    Ever faithful 243 or 6.5x55 for deer only, no paper tearing, , doug..
    Doug.

Have a read of Knowledgebase and subscribe to http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifles_index_hunting.htm for a month. Then take a view on what's suitable for you.

While the calibre is important, good training and plenty of practice are also essential for success. Secondly, a sound moderator and a standard bolt/safety also help in getting good results.

Regards

JCS

Quote Originally Posted by AN DU RU FOX View Post
    Ever faithful 243 or 6.5x55 for deer only, no paper tearing, , doug.

20lb Munties or 200lb reds?

.308 to do the lot with minimal carcass damage!

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    20lb Munties or 200lb reds?
    sorry missed some posts been busy revising, not really picked my 223 tikka hunter up tday 1 in 8 twist 1/2 thread for mod been oiling the wood all i need now compadre,s is some suitable ammo for it fox/deer factory loads as i dont load as yet, right were was i thanks for all replys, i dont think i will be ever going for reds or boar but you never know, munties /cwd/roe/ mainly i dont want to go too big ,thats why i asked 243 or 6.5x55 i dont need or want anything bigger.thanks. ps the 223 didnt come into the question as i got it for fox and because it was extremely cheap as swapped a s/side for it + a bit of cash. basicly i think what im asking is for most medium sized english deer the rifle would be ??? with a possibility of hand loading in the future.
    Last edited by AN DU RU FOX; 28-02-2014 at 19:55.
    DONT START