Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 52gr a-max info

52gr a-max info

would 52 a-max expand on greybacks/rabbits ect
    i am after a all round load for targets to 500 yards and vermin out to 300 yards,i was going to use 53gr v-max but ive heard there has been isues with quality control. also getting bullets over here is a pain in the ass so being able to have the a-max posted would be a real help.
    i was also looking at the sierra spbt 65gr because of the high bc,but same queastion as above really,would they expand quickly enough or drill holes straight through.but i would need a rfd to order these.there are better bc bullets but i doubt my barrel would staberlise them

could anybody recomend a powder easy to get in the uk that suits these bullets,or suggest a bullet and load
    rifle is a .223 rem 700 vtr 1 in 9 twist with a 19.5" barrel (i had the stupid break cut off and re-crowned and threaded)

thanks for any help dave
    Last edited by leadpig; 28-02-2014 at 09:50.

i use them on foxes and anything else

they exit on foxes where vmax dont
    but i genuinely believe they almost act like a soft points from the damage

is this a 223?

you wont have a problem with expansion

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    i use them on foxes and anything else
    they exit on foxes where vmax dont
    but i genuinely believe they almost act like a soft points from the damage

is this a 223?

you wont have a problem with expansion
    I think this answers the OP's question. There is obviously an issue with expansion.

This illustrates why restrictions on expanding bullets should be done away with.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

I use these with 23.5grn N130 sat at book OAL. 22" barrel remmy 700 1..9., and the groups are normally 1/2 moa without trying.
    I used N133 for a while but they perform better with the faster powder.
    I read about other people using N120 with excellent results, which might be worth a try.

Never had one exit, and they seem to explode on impact, with head removal from bunny being the norm.
    Frenchie from pigeon watch put some good vids on U tube showing how destructive they are.

52g Amax will be fine mate. n133 will give you a good case fill. I use it in my AI and load 27.0g with 50g SBK. 3670 baby!

26.5 gr Benchmark cc1 bench rest primer. Touching groups 100yards, expands very effectively out go 250yds (probably further but never tested it). Kills foxes very dead makes rabbits jump into next field. Amax are great bullets which expand well. For vermin shooting I would use nothing else as very accurate.

BE

A previous load for a Tikka .223 1:12 twist, 52 grain Amax over N133 @ 24.6 grains, did everything you mentioned for me.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Used to use them in my .22-250 (only changed due to faster twist barrel being fitted) on everything from fox downwards, never had a runner. Very accurate and dropped everything on the spot