Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scam Warning

Scam Warning

Just had a call from what sounded like an Indian lady in a busy call centre , her number came up as 01754 898957, she said she was from "the" computer company and my computer was at great risk , she went on for ages as I drank my tea pretending to listen and be alarmed , I said I`d go and get my PC and she waited whilst I booted it up ,(I carried on doing other work for 10 min) , she waited then asked me to go into the directory etc and and tried to route me to a website which would enable her to access my PC , Ammyy Admin - Free Zero-Config Remote Desktop Software, Remote Desktop Connection and Remote Access Software ,no doubt to steal banking info etc ,after 20 mins she was getting no where , so I mentioned I did not have internet ! she muttered something in a foreign tongue and hung up .scamming witch.

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    Just had a call from what sounded like an Indian lady in a busy call centre , her number came up as 01754 898957[IMG]resource://skype_ff_extension-at-jetpack/skype_ff_extension/data/call_skype_logo.png[/IMG]01754 898957, she said she was from "the" computer company and my computer was at great risk , she went on for ages as I drank my tea pretending to listen and be alarmed , I said I`d go and get my PC and she waited whilst I booted it up ,(I carried on doing other work for 10 min) , she waited then asked me to go into the directory etc and and tried to route me to a website which would enable her to access my PC , Ammyy Admin - Free Zero-Config Remote Desktop Software, Remote Desktop Connection and Remote Access Software ,no doubt to steal banking info etc ,after 20 mins she was getting no where , so I mentioned I did not have internet ! she muttered something in a foreign tongue and hung up .scamming witch.
    That is all very nice to know, but the information I am really after is, what caliber does she shoot?

Call
    Send SMS
    Add to Skype
    You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
    • Do not be seduced by the marketing-men....

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Hamburger View Post
    That is all very nice to know, but the information I am really after is, what caliber does she shoot?

Call
    Send SMS
    Add to Skype
    You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype
    Well you're in Cheltenham so ask GCHQ to track her down

I'm not at GCHQ but 01754 is for the Skegness area of Lincolnshire if that helps. Why not ring her back and ask her some 'security' questions?

Quote Originally Posted by VIGILAIRE View Post
    I'm not at GCHQ but 01754 is for the Skegness area of Lincolnshire if that helps. Why not ring her back and ask her some 'security' questions?

No s**t Sherlock , ever heard of virtual phone numbers ?

I had a call yesterday from what i think was a Indian gentleman saying similar things, i did ask him if he thought i was stupid? the conversation ended soon after.

Quote Originally Posted by glen13 View Post
    I had a call yesterday from what i think was a Indian gentleman saying similar things, i did ask him if he thought i was stupid? the conversation ended soon after.

Id guess if you are daft enough to let them access your PC they sit watching your screen until you do some online banking then Bingo !

Quote Originally Posted by Johno100 View Post
    Just had a call from what sounded like an Indian lady in a busy call centre , her number came up as 01754 898957, she said she was from "the" computer company and my computer was at great risk , she went on for ages as I drank my tea pretending to listen and be alarmed , I said I`d go and get my PC and she waited whilst I booted it up ,(I carried on doing other work for 10 min) , she waited then asked me to go into the directory etc and and tried to route me to a website which would enable her to access my PC , Ammyy Admin - Free Zero-Config Remote Desktop Software, Remote Desktop Connection and Remote Access Software ,no doubt to steal banking info etc ,after 20 mins she was getting no where , so I mentioned I did not have internet ! she muttered something in a foreign tongue and hung up .scamming witch.
    I had a similar experience some months ago.

Having realised that this was a scam within a few seconds I too pretended to go along with what I was being told which leads to giving the caller remote access.

Around 20 minutes into the conversation I was asked what I could see on my computer screen, well like many stalkers I have a picture of a deer as a screen saver so this is the answer I gave. This perplexed the caller who asked "what is deer?". I answered that it was a four footed even toed ungulate and that they could also be found in India, to be helpful I suggested to the caller that he might be more familiar with Antelopes. For some reason he hung up!

atb Tim

Blog Entries
    View my Gallery (39)View my Gallery (39)
    heard all about this **** from a lad on the beating team.

very common now, they will try anything to get your money.

bob.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

I just tell them that I work for Oracle, and ask if it's WindowsXP clashing with my Solaris10 dual boot and if they could provide the tech team with the binary code that they are using, as they are illegally working outside of the GNU General Public Licence, and Sun Microsystem's Public Licence, which is still in force subsequent to the February 2010 acquisition...

I rarely get beyond the first 10 seconds of that, but it's fun all the same

I like that they give themselves English names, as if that will deflect from the thick Sub-continent accent, "Hello, this is Daaaave calling from..."
    Sako 75 6.5x55mm-Z6i 3-18x50. MauserM12 .308-SIII 6-24x50. Beretta 690 III Field 12b.
    "You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life."
    Sir Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill (1874-1965)