Dilema what to sell

joed

I have put in for a variation to start my progress towards stalking and I have come to the conclusion that I will have to sell a firearm along with a shotgun in order to fund the purchase of a new rifle.

My dilemma is what to sell. I either sell my Finnfire in .22lr or a .17hmr.

I currently control rabbits and am moving to Fox. The finnfire I love but it isn't suitable for Fox, some of the land. I'm on isn't suitable for a centrefire so I can't use it for Fox accross the board.

I'd rather sell the .17 but the .22 doesn't cover enough options, it is also further complicated by the .17 being tricky in a couple of places for rabbit!

What to do!

Sell the 17, it isn't a fox round anyway.
The .22 will do the rabbits and close range fox, conditions allowing.
Get whatever you buy for deer conditioned for AOLQ and your sorted.

Neil. :)

the 17 has a slot in my cabinet, and the 22 has not?

never the less both have gone and i would only have a 17 back, i dislike the 22lr for nothing other than its rick 'o' sha factor, i found the 17 to do all i wanted and more, but as said both went as i needed to sell up to pay bills, and now back in work i have my 2 rifles that i use the most, and 1 day i will have a 17 again.

ps: my force do not issue (well they have never put it on my ticket) AOLQ, they put on what i use each caliber for and thats that.

best of luck, the finnfire is a cracking rifle, sold mine to a great rifle builder and he still has it to this day.

bob.

Keep them both and get a cheap beaten up Parker hale to start you off
plenty around privately

my last one cost me a box of Amax!

Joed, you say some of the land is not suitable for C/F, is that because you have a closed ticket and the land has not been passed or would it genuinely be dangerous to use a C/F?
Bearing in mind even the most unsuitable land can be shot with C/F if approached correctly.
By the way, im with wildfowler on this, the finnfire is a superb rifle but 22LR is not as versatile a cartridge as the 17HMR.

Ian.

You will seriously regret getting rid of the Finnfire.

Bin bag the 17 hummer - and get a proper fox cal

I can't bring myself to sell mine but what makes you say this? The .17 is a lot easier to use than the .22lr. Surely a CZ will do just as good a job if you missed having the .22? And a anschuitz (sp?) or weihrauch is probably just as good build quality?

but at the same time I can't bring myself to move mine on :lol:

the 17 has a slot in my cabinet, and the 22 has not?

never the less both have gone and i would only have a 17 back, i dislike the 22lr for nothing other than its rick 'o' sha factor, i found the 17 to do all i wanted and more, but as said both went as i needed to sell up to pay bills, and now back in work i have my 2 rifles that i use the most, and 1 day i will have a 17 again.
ps: my force do not issue (well they have never put it on my ticket) AOLQ, they put on what i use each caliber for and thats that.

best of luck, the finnfire is a cracking rifle, sold mine to a great rifle builder and he still has it to this day.

bob.

Hi Bob
Have you asked Wilts for AOLQ I have it on all my rifles and so does my mate
Geordie

I love a good .22lr v .17hmr debate. I personally think that a .22lr set up properly for use with subs AND HV's is the most versatile round you could ever wish for. Nigh on silent rabbiting with the subs and 150y crows with the HV's.

I only ever use my 22 with subs and would never ever be without it, used at sensible ranges. After using a mates HMR it left me knowing that while a good round for some things for a little bit more I could go for a .222 and end up with a far more versatile round. I have not been proved wrong IMO but each to their own.

Keep the 22 finnfire you would be hard pressed to find a better 22 I would ditch the 17 noisy rabbit gun - pile of doo daaaaaa

The finnfire is a superb rifle it will do a far better all round job than the 17 any day of the week

good luck

Phil

Back