Measuring trophy heads

Beowulf

Evening all,
I have a nice little Muntjac head in my freezer. In fact its the chap in my trophy room 'The Lastest Muntjac Buck'. I would like to get him measured up to see if he is a medal head.

How do I do this?

Where do you get it done?

How much does it cost?

Thank you for your advice in this matter.

Beowolf,

I have the CIC scoring formulae for most species including muntjac on Excel spreadsheets. I'd be happy to email it to anyone who wants it.

I think that a weak right antler might spoil your chances on the buck you mentioned although the left looks good.

Hi Paul,
Yes the right antler is missing its tip, but even without it, its measures 4.9 ins in length. The left is 5.2ins. Much bigger than anything else in my muntie head collection.
Thank you!

PaulK could I bother you for a copy, please. I also have one or two heads that I would like to get a more firm idea about.

Thanks

Hi Paul

Could you send me one as well please..

I shot a nice buck last year - and looking at some of the measurements inST this week got me thinking he could be bronze/silver -

Appreciate your help

I also have spreadsheets for red, fallow, roe and sika in addition to muntjac - happy to share them.

Beowulf said:
Hi Paul,
Yes the right antler is missing its tip, but even without it, its measures 4.9 ins in length. The left is 5.2ins. Much bigger than anything else in my muntie head collection.
Thank you!

From that it might actually be a very decent one - with the right span and brow point measurements it might even be gold - I would be interested to know what the calculation throws up.

Hi Paul,
I'm going to get someone who knows how to measure the head to have a look at it. Its twice the length and thickness of the other munty heads I've got. I'll be chuffed if it is a medal, because it gives me an idea of what can be achieved by the muntjac in this area.

I once went into a gamekeeper's shed in Bucks. and found at least 10 muntjac heads that were bigger than anything else I had seen in the flesh up to then. I was sure that I was looking at several gold medals but he wasn't interested in getting them measured - they were just a nuisance to him on the pheasant shoot.

I quickly measured what seemed to be the best and it was around 5.25" on both sides. That means yours would be right up there with these heads.

We got permission to stalk some of the ground for does and cull bucks only but I saw another buck that would have been better than 5" each side. I had a clear shot but couldn't take it.

please paul
could i bother you for a copy
as in the past i hav never bothered about measuring heads as i was never into trophys but like one or two others hav said the trophys are another sign of how good a quality the deer are doing on your ground as in the past i have thrown munty heads that hav passed the 5 inch mark away, usualy they hav been animals past their best and going back but hav a roe head that is quite tall a typical six pointer that i would like to see how good as there are several better on my ground as there are one or two muntys that hav very good heads one that possibly will make almost 6 inch going on the size of others that i hav culled
shall pm you my email
many thaks stone

Hi Stone,

All species sent. If a muntie is 5" on both sides and has brow tines, as long as there is nothing odd about the head then it's going to be a medal, possibly gold.

The record muntie had (14cms) just over 5.6" on both sides so if you have a good 6" head (15cms ish) it could be a new record all other things being equal.

I've just emailed you another spreadsheet with the record muntie's measurements.

thanks for that paul,
could not open the link for the record munty head not sure why ?
i now need to rescue a munty head which i gave to a freind for making a sculpture out of as i know that was over 5 inch with 2 good brow tines aswell
following on from this i hav had trouble finding out who actualy holds the record for muntjac head any one know?
stone

It's an animal shot by K. Hicks in Gloucestershire in October 1997.

The measurements were:

Span 12.5 cm
Left Beam: 14 cm
Right Beam 14 cm
Left Brow 3.8 cm
Right Brow 3.3 cm

Total Score: 79.5

Part of the reason for the high score is the remarkable symetry between the two antlers resulting in low deductions for differences.

hi paul
the muntjac in question if i am right, was shot on an estate by wotton under edge a place where i used to go on roe bucks and was offered to me in the july of that year but ,as i had muntjac of my own ,i could not bear to part with the £100 price tag that tim the stalker wanted for shooting muntjac bucks as i was there to stalk roe bucks i said "no thanks"
and moved on but i do admit it was an impressive animal
i only asked the question because when tim told me about it being the record the only info at the time, was on a munjac that Blue Thomas had shot but i am so surprised that this record has stood for so long
many thanks stone

The Blue Thomas head is currently no better than #8= on the list and was shot 6 months later than the record.

Scroll down the spreadsheet and you will find the Top 12 muntjac listed showing Blue's animal at #4 but I have just updated the list and there may yet be a few more animals to add to it. 1997 and 1998 seemed to be good years for big muntjac with seven of the top ten.

You would currently need at least 73.4 points to make the Top 10.

This might bring back memories for Stone with a second look at this animal.

RecordMuntjac.jpg
[/img]

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the spread sheet info. I have just looked at 2428's muntjac antler, in the trophy room. 'Blimey that's big!' :eek:

Back