Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 17 hm2

Question 17 hm2

Any HM2 fans out there? Thinking of getting one. Thoughts and feedback would be interesting.
    Si

Quote Originally Posted by Si-snipe View Post
    Any HM2 fans out there? Thinking of getting one. Thoughts and feedback would be interesting.
    Si
    It's too little, too late. Judging by the number of rifles no longer chambered for it, I'd saying it was dying. About the only place it's hanging on in the States are with the eastern squirrel hunters. I have two of them. Can't recall the last time I shot either of them.~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    It's too little, too late. Judging by the number of rifles no longer chambered for it, I'd saying it was dying. About the only place it's hanging on in the States are with the eastern squirrel hunters. I have two of them. Can't recall the last time I shot either of them.~Muir
    Which rifles have you got?

hi go get a 17 hornet .i shot my mates he still got 20 rounds left from his first box of amo he got with the gun

It's for high volume vermin control to replace my .22LR. Ammo is the same price, less ricochet and point and shoot out to 100yds will
    be perfect for lamping or NV work.
    Ive had 17Rem and use 223AI for daytime vermin.

hi can you get amo for it .my mate got the hm2 17 and 22lr sako Q he only uses the 22lr

Awesome round!
    its the round the .22lr HV should have been....except accurate
    its just the gun for bunnies without disembowelling them on site
    It's not a comparison to a .22lr

i have it and the hmr, never use the hmr

Which rifles have you got?
    I have a custom barreled Ruger Model 96 "underlever" as you folks call them, and a Ruger Model 77/22 with a Green Mountain Rifle Barrel Co barrel. Both are accurate but at 100 yards they have little juice left. A 40 grain .22LR has more energy: especially some of the high energy offerings like the Aguila Interceptor or CCI Velocitor. Don't get me wrong. The M2's not a bad cartridge, but it's not lightening in a bottle when it comes to rimfires. Our trading post has a rack of 17M2's that they can't sell. I think they finally sold the CZ452 American and the T/C Classic auto loader as collector's items. Nobody uses M2 but for squirrels. (It is worthless on prairiedogs, for sure). It was originally designed for the Ruger 10/22. Once it was found to be unsuited for that rifle, commercial interest faded. If you want one, get it, but realize that you are dealing with production from one US manufacturer that hasn't actually made any M2 since they were flooded with Government contracts almost two years ago. If they decide to drop it, or switch to a sporadic 'limited' production, you'll be up that brown creek w/o a paddle.

But who am I to talk? I shoot a 5mm Remington Rimfire. One supplier, world wide. ~Muir

Si
    I didn't care for mine. It was no more accurate than any of my HMRs, and it had noticeably less thump on quarry. Eley ammo was significantly cheaper though.
    Be aware that Eley haven't made HM2 ammo for years, so the only alternative will be US made which might not be that much cheaper than HMR.
    Interestingly, HM2 is the only cartridge that I've head a case head separation, where the gas blow back destroyed an expensive Sako magazine.
    Last edited by Guesty; 01-03-2014 at 07:20.

Interesting replies. Thanks. If the ammo is available and sub 8 per 50 which I have found it is it's a viable option. Cheap and safer shooting than 22LR. I can't believe that considering Eley was selling at 10/100 it didn't catch on. Especially when HMR price went silly.