Tracking harness

Gotta stick up for kit here as ive dealt with him on three occasions and on two of them he steered me to something just as practical but less money so feel your comment is unfair
regards
Jimmy

Jimmy now I'm really hurt (not) that you think i was unfair to poor Kit. I did write that tongue in cheek and he did get a chance to slip in some free advertiseing. Having met Kit i know he sell good quality gear even if he no taller than a hobbit.

Last edited:
Genuine question I don't have a fancy Germany dog .

Gents question my spaniels track without a problem walk behind me when I'm stalking ,why do you need a tracking harness, I'm puzzled a little surely you don't have to stalk with the dog on a lead ??

It also helps to keep sensible control over your dog when used with a long line
especialy when starting off with training
yes collars are often a cheaper option but if you hav a head strong or determined dog ... You can help reduce the stress on the neck from an early age
same as when tracking a beast in the field
you are reducing the neck tension and still hav control over dog with out worrying to much about pulling the dog off track or loosing sight of the dog and thus maybe loosing controll of the situation

Jimmy now I'm really hurt (not) that you think i was unfair to poor Kit. I did write that tongue in cheek and he did get a chance to slip in some free advertiseing. Having met Kit i know he sell good quality gear even if he no taller than a hobit.
To be fair
kit does sell good gear
and I have bought tracking gear from him at the same money as I have paid from the continent for the same items

Hi Phil,
I use Niggaloh (excuse spelling) harness with Biothane line for my GWP, its a great combination, My dog pulls like a train when she is on the case and this kit really works as the harness sits firm with lots of support when the dog pulls and the line does not snag on every bit of undergrowth.

One problem I have found is the are a pain in the arse to pack up small whilst stalking, so I've reverted to the old favourite of a thin harness and plastic washing line for a lead that fit in my jacket pocket.

The posh stuff stays in the truck until needed, but if I am stalking with my GWP on my ground I carry the cheep and portable harness/washing line as I can start a follow pretty quick post shot If I need to.
I would be interested to know how you get on.

There is always something else to carry, I have a 10 metre leather leash and a shoulder lead that is on a breakaway off my belt, Ruudi is brilliant to heel stops to the shot, got no worries with that, when he is close on one he's full tilt he doesn't hold back, I feel better when I have him on the harness and trailer leash. You never know when a road might turn up if you have a runner, the harness is better for a dog by a long chalk against a collar more comfortable and gives you a good link with the dog.

my spaniel works brilliantly off the lead, stops on a sixpence 100% a working dog, but doesn't track like my wire ,you know when he's on it! he won't stop when close to it! harness is essential for my wire! when it's put on, it's like turning on a switch! the dog can do its work without thinking about me and where I am, and I can follow along at my pace, I run him free on tracks, and he ranges for a scent, it's a pleasure to see him pick one up and run into it, but for me harnesses are part of it

if the truck is nearby I use the shoulder lead and collar, I can easily go back on a marker after the shot if needed after 15 mins or so depends on where stalking if I'm on a forestry block miles away from the truck I take the bigger roe sack with the kit with me. Works ok

Last edited:
harness

Bringing some gear for those on the course to look at ,also a big stick,steel tipped boots (shin kicking for the use of) and a dictionary for those that can't spell hobbit.

Back