Deer Stalking Question

mi111

Hi there,

I'm not to sure if I'm posting this in the right area but hopefully i will get some clarification, I wanted to know if for example someone goes on a paid deer stalk and deer is shot, does the client get to take the deer or are there only paying for the service of being able to go on a deer hunt? hopefully I made it clear and not confused anyone in what i was trying to ask.

Thnx
Peter

If you're on a commercial estate, the venison belongs to the estate. You may be able to buythe venison/carcass, but you will only have paid for the opportunity to stalk & shoot the deer. Anything else is extra. ATB

Normally you are paying to shoot the deer, if you want the carcass you would be asked to pay for it on top of what you have already paid. It can differ, best to ask the person you are stalking with what you get in their particular stalking package.

Al

If you think about it, say you paid £75 for a morning stalk and you manage to get a deer, now depending on the species and prevailing dealer prices, but lets for argument sake say you got yourself a big far Fallow pricket or whatever and dealer prices put it at £100. That would mean you would have made £25 on your "paid" stalk, I'm afraid it don't work like that, you have to pay your way I am afraid.

John

So there's no chance of me finding a mechanic that likes tinkering with cars and asking him to pay me to sort my car out when it needs a service :doh:

So there's no chance of me finding a mechanic that likes tinkering with cars and asking him to pay me to sort my car out when it needs a service :doh:

No, sorry Ed you would have to at least offer that 243 barrel in PX :D,

John

Darn it, I knew I'd got that wrong but one can live in hope.
After much deliberation .243 calibre now kept but barrel swopped for a fluted one - it doesn't shoot any better but it looks good :D

When you think about it, a day at hinds or does, which would be my choice to eat anyway, that produces a beast you can shoot, taking the carcass you have harvested for your own use must still work out a lot cheaper than going to a butchers and paying for the equivalent already prepared weight of venison?

A friend if mine took a large early season Sika stag for butchering, probably worth around £170, then he only had to pay £50 at the local butchers to have them turn the whole thing into a few prime cuts, but the majority into venison burgers and a few sausages. It lasted him almost a year!!!! What would that work out at if bought from Tesco?

When you think about it, a day at hinds or does, which would be my choice to eat anyway, that produces a beast you can shoot, taking the carcass you have harvested for your own use must still work out a lot cheaper than going to a butchers and paying for the equivalent already prepared weight of venison?

A friend if mine took a large early season Sika stag for butchering, probably worth around £170, then he only had to pay £50 at the local butchers to have them turn the whole thing into a few prime cuts, but the majority into venison burgers and a few sausages. It lasted him almost a year!!!! What would that work out at if bought from Tesco?
I understand perfectly what you guys mean now its just the fact that i didn't know what are the practices here.
so did your friend shoot the deer on a estate or on his own land permision? since you mentioned the price

Then if you joined a syndicate, I for one would expect to keep venison proceeds..... but not in this day and age apparently!

I understand perfectly what you guys mean now its just the fact that i didn't know what are the practices here.
so did your friend shoot the deer on a estate or on his own land permision? since you mentioned the price
Hey mate if there is anything you not sure about or dont know best ask Killwillie from highland enterprises better known on here as JAYB

I heard a cracker the other day from two different sources who had contacted a landowner about him needing a few sika shot on his ground. He wanted a rent (lease) paid, plus he was to keep all the carcasses shot by the stalker......

Neither took it so I guess he's still looking...:rolleyes:

Back