Thread: Damn idiot....Hirtenberg Cases....And Hannam's

SD Regular

Damn idiot....Hirtenberg Cases....And Hannam's

Just received, Friday morning, a set of shiny new ides from a member on here. Absolutely perfect. Pristine. Ready to go. No faults.

Oh, says I, I must test them immediately. Now as all my usual cases are either already loaded or already sized and primed I have a look in the "odds 'n sods" bin. Lo! Two fired but un-sized and still with spent primer in place Hirtenberg cases.

Five minutes later two bent de-capping pins and a maybe slightly bent de-capping rod! Why?

Because Hirtenberg cases, although conventionally Boxer primed have a very small central flash hole.

As any fule kno. And I did. But had forgotten. Which was why they were in the "odds 'n sods" box for all that time.

Three lessons:

1) Scrap by crushing its neck with pliers any case that you have discarded because it has issues. As you may forget it had a probem and what that problem was. As I did.

2) Hannam's Reloading give excellent service! Ordered a replacement rod and some pins at 12.30pm on Friday and they arrived here in Leicestershire by post today Saturday.

3) HIRTENBERG..HEADSTAMP "HP"..CASES HAVE SMALL FLASH HOLES THAT MAY DAMAGE CONVENTIONAL SIZED DE-CAPPING PINS AND DE-CAPPING RODS!

Quote Originally Posted by enfieldspares View Post
    Just received, Friday morning, a set of shiny new ides from a member on here. Absolutely perfect. Pristine. Ready to go. No faults.

Oh, says I, I must test them immediately. Now as all my usual cases are either already loaded or already sized and primed I have a look in the "odds 'n sods" bin. Lo! Two fired but un-sized and still with spent primer in place Hirtenberg cases.

Five minutes later two bent de-capping pins and a maybe slightly bent de-capping rod! Why?

Because Hirtenberg cases, although conventionally Boxer primed have a very small central flash hole.

As any fule kno. And I did. But had forgotten. Which was why they were in the "odds 'n sods" box for all that time.

Three lessons:

1) Scrap by crushing its neck with pliers any case that you have discarded because it has issues. As you may forget it had a probem and what that problem was. As I did.

2) Hannam's Reloading give excellent service! Ordered a replacement rod and some pins at 12.30pm on Friday and they arrived here in Leicestershire by post today Saturday.

3) HIRTENBERG..HEADSTAMP "HP"..CASES HAVE SMALL FLASH HOLES THAT MAY DAMAGE CONVENTIONAL SIZED DE-CAPPING PINS AND DE-CAPPING RODS!

Don't be to hard on yourself brother, I did the same thing . More years ago than I care to remember , I bought a Brno ZKK - 602 in 8X68 . Back then , and now for that matter , brass was very difficult to find . I managed to find 60 rounds of once fired Hirtenberger brass that I happily took home and promptly destroyed the de-capping pin on my also new 8X68 reloading dies . I eventually found a good source of RWS brass and never had a problem after that . I feel your pain .

AB

I know your cases are old ones Enfield but are Hirtenberger still around in the U.K.? I haven't seen any for years, the last lot I had were given to me by a guy that bought them from the NRA at Bisley. Doesn't Hirtenberger now come under the RUAG banner?

P.S. I tell a lie a friend gave me 40 rounds of expading a couple of weeks back that he got when he bough an old rifle. He was having many misfires with it. I tried to pull the bullets so that them and the cases could be saved but almost failed. The ammo was that old that the bullets had almost welded themselves to the cases. Eventually I seperated them all and tried to burn off the powder. Talk about damp squib. No wonder he was having problems. I didn't have any problems with decapping though.
    Last edited by 8x57; 03-03-2014 at 06:28.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

SD Regular
    No. Old. But still capable of wrecking my two de-capping pins and rod! I haven't seen HP for probably fifteen or twenty years. These like mantraps were lurking, ever ready, to catch another unwary...

I never take a chance and crush any dodgy cases immediately with the pliers and put them in my scrap bin.

I know how you feel though as I remember having a similar issue with small primer holes in a batch of the first ever Federal .223r cases that I tried to reload when I first started reloading for rifle. Of course the internet wasn't around then and I didn't know anyone who reloaded for rifle as most simply used ex-military ammo. It was only by chance that I came across an article in Guns & Ammo where the writer described a similar encounter and the solution (Trash the Garbage).
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.