Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: antlered doe

antlered doe

Something fairly rare that I thought I'd share. A mate shot this today. Barren and with only 2 incisors left.

Novice
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC_0236.jpg  

I shot one last year very simular but it was covered in white spots sort of scubald markings.the cape is in the freezer.

My mate showed me one the other day he had shot a couple of days earlier, only one antler about 2" long but you could feel a proper decent sized coronet under the velvet covering it...

Shot one about 3 years ago, had 2 even antlers about 1 1/2" and no anal tush, to be honest thought it was a buck until I went to gralloch it.
    Wingy

hi brian

i done the head out today , will bring it to the fair ,

willie

Quote Originally Posted by ajfab View Post
    I shot one last year very simular but it was covered in white spots sort of scubald markings.the cape is in the freezer.
    Now that I'd like to see! I bet there would be a few continental stalkers queuing up to account for something like that!

Is this phenomenon restricted to roe, or has anyone come across it in other species, perhaps even in a park environment?

Novice

Hi
    Some deer species, like reindeer, have antlered females. The process of antler growth is controlled by the endocrine system. There would be some anomaly in the hormone levels of a row doe to cause antler growth. Not common, but not unusual.

I've got one hanging in the larder a the moment. First one I've come across and happens tpo be the first roe doe I've shot for a couple of years. Not much of a trophy so I was just going to ditch the head. Unless anyone on here wants it? Got one antler longer than the other, prob about 3 inches...?

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Now that I'd like to see! I bet there would be a few continental stalkers queuing up to account for something like that!

Is this phenomenon restricted to roe, or has anyone come across it in other species, perhaps even in a park environment?

Novice
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo0074.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	979.9 KB 
ID:	38676

Shot this muntjac doe a couple of years ago, with antlers and canine teeth. I too thought it was a buck.
    Atb Blue.

Quote Originally Posted by ajfab View Post
    A skewbald antlered doe, that has to be one in million, good work.