antlered doe

novice

Something fairly rare that I thought I'd share. A mate shot this today. Barren and with only 2 incisors left.

Novice

Attachments

• DSC_0236.jpg
    DSC_0236.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 263
I shot one last year very simular but it was covered in white spots sort of scubald markings.the cape is in the freezer.

My mate showed me one the other day he had shot a couple of days earlier, only one antler about 2" long but you could feel a proper decent sized coronet under the velvet covering it...

Shot one about 3 years ago, had 2 even antlers about 1 1/2" and no anal tush, to be honest thought it was a buck until I went to gralloch it.
Wingy

I shot one last year very simular but it was covered in white spots sort of scubald markings.the cape is in the freezer.

Now that I'd like to see! I bet there would be a few continental stalkers queuing up to account for something like that!

Is this phenomenon restricted to roe, or has anyone come across it in other species, perhaps even in a park environment?

Novice

Hi
Some deer species, like reindeer, have antlered females. The process of antler growth is controlled by the endocrine system. There would be some anomaly in the hormone levels of a row doe to cause antler growth. Not common, but not unusual.

I've got one hanging in the larder a the moment. First one I've come across and happens tpo be the first roe doe I've shot for a couple of years. Not much of a trophy so I was just going to ditch the head. Unless anyone on here wants it? Got one antler longer than the other, prob about 3 inches...?

Now that I'd like to see! I bet there would be a few continental stalkers queuing up to account for something like that!

Is this phenomenon restricted to roe, or has anyone come across it in other species, perhaps even in a park environment?

Novice
Photo0074.jpg

Shot this muntjac doe a couple of years ago, with antlers and canine teeth. I too thought it was a buck.
Atb Blue.

A skewbald antlered doe, that has to be one in million, good work.

Yeh i'd like to see pics of this.

This is a doe my mate shot last year, nearly had a coronet on one side and was quite an old doe.

Moose
adoe3_zpsbcf9cecc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I've been watching one for about 4 years now, she started with a single spike and grew from there, she's now going back. Here she is with a kid:

Not that common but not exactly rare either I have had three over the years, some are not true does but hermaphrodites or free-martins, check genitals also check if foetus present.

First Roe I ever shot looked like a young buck, but turned out to be a doe, much to the embarrassment of the DSC2, accredited witness who was my supervisor for the day. He still blushes everytime I mention it.

Back