Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not for the want of trying...............

Not for the want of trying...............

Well the middle of last year I got it into my head that I wanted to have a go at driven boar. I bit the bullet, and bought a Chapuis side by side 9.3x74r, and started to look around for a trip to go on.

Well a long story, short, I was fortunate to be able to go to Portugal in November, where I blanked, followed by a very short notice trip to Croatia in December, where I blanked. I then get told about a trip to Hungary the beginning of Feb', where we would shoot copious numbers of boar, and we could shoot Red Hinds, and Roe does too.................... well I got a hind, & a Roe doe, but you guessed it, not a boar in sight !

Having spent far too much money on shooting trips, justified by not having had a holiday in the previous 7 years, I was getting somewhat despondent, with the trips becoming more "driven crazy", than "driven boar" !

Well, just before I went to Hungary, a Portuguese customer, and good friends, invited me to spend a weekend hunting with some of their friends. This was getting a little silly, but it would double as a business trip, and the shooting was so cheap, it would have been rude not to !

The difference with this trip, is because the shooting costs were so low, my expectations were really low too, and whilst I hoped to shoot something (repeat after me) just spending some time with good friends, and the opportunity to meet some more, would be good enough.....................

So ignoring that it took 2 1/2 hours for the airport staff to arrive to take me to customs I arrived in Portugal to be met by my friends, & then a quick 3 hour drive to the hotel. Next morning we meet in the local village hall about 8.30am, where everyone on the hunt is having breakfast, chatting, picking an envelope with a peg position, and just having a very relaxed time, and checking out the 200 hunting dogs !!!

Then about 10.30, we're off, and get dropped at our peg positions.

Well I hear lots of shots, see lots of dogs, have a little piglet cross 5 yards by the side of me, but you guessed it................... no boar

So the trucks come around to pick us up, & take us back to the village hall, where everyone is back, and chatting about their day, and before we go in for the communal lunch, get ushered to the courtyard behind the hall, where "29" boar are laid out from the days one drive.................. so can't complain about the lack of boar, just unlucky with the peg.

The people in the white suits are vets, who examined each animal, took samples for inspection, and claimed 5 of the animals had TB, something most of the locals considered a "perk" of the job

Once sorted, the boar are auctioned off to the hunters, going for a very low price of circa 50-80 !!!

So skipping through to the following day, we drive to the next village, where yep, everyone has gathered in the village hall for breakfast, gossip, and picking the envelope for the peg. My friend George comes over to me with an envelope he's picked out for me, which has a map showing the hunting area, and the position of the peg. It didn't look ideal, but who knows !

So after breakfast we're off to the hunting area, loaded into 4x4's, with most having to sit in the back, where they have fitted benches, or just bails of hay. So we get to the hunting area, which was really hilly, and a real experience hanging on to something as we ascended, and then descended some very very steep sections. I can't say I wasn't happy when we finally stopped, and had to walk the rest of the way................... Until we started to walk the rest of the way................... and I started wishing I was back in the truck

So we finally get to the peg, set on a steep slope, with lot's of over grown bushes, tall grass, and trees. It looked great, and my friend Pedro, and I got settled, and quiet, waiting for the action.

Well, there were shots to the left of us, shots to the right, and shots in front, the dogs were going crazy, and I could hear them pushing boar across behind us, to the next peg, where another friend Daniel, shot one. I could see the dogs chasing boar across a field 1/2 a mile away, until they all disappeared into the long grass, where the dogs must have run into a deer, and brought it down, as we saw the beaters drag it out.

It was all happening, but yes, just not for us................ So back to the village, and whilst not as many as the day before, there were about 14, including a couple of reasonable sized ones.

All in all, I had a fantastic weekend. I've still got to christen the double, but I'm hoping to do that later this year, when the new season starts, and I'll definitely be going back to shoot with my Portuguese friends, old, and new. In fact, on the journey back to the airport, they had a call, where one of their friends has already booked me in for a hunt in December !!!! Can't wait.
    Last edited by Lateral; 01-03-2014 at 18:47.

I feel for you mate not blooding the new Chapuis. I wish you luck on your next trip.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Regular Poster
    I know the feeling when it comes to boar. Great write up and photos, thank you. I admire your persistence - my experiences sound similar but I gave up long before you. To be honest, I realised for me the driven aspect of it just doesn't hold the same appeal as stalking and for me I would rather spend my time and money doing other things. Good luck with it, I have little doubt that with your persistence you'll nail one and I look forward to hearing about it.

Well good write up. You will get one, um, eventually
    I can speak in-depth and with great knowledge about most subjects until some bugger who actually knows what he is speaking about opens his gob .

great writeup and i know exactly how you feel as i have been in your shoes, its like anything the first one is always the hardest then they come in droves. keep at it as it will happen soon enough,atb wayne

http://www.facebook.com/pages/UKSHA/502164506587351
    uksha
    Discretion assured - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857
    please visit our web site: uksha1
    or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest, John Forsey sports

Quote Originally Posted by Foss View Post
    I know the feeling when it comes to boar. Great write up and photos, thank you. I admire your persistence - my experiences sound similar but I gave up long before you. To be honest, I realised for me the driven aspect of it just doesn't hold the same appeal as stalking and for me I would rather spend my time and money doing other things. Good luck with it, I have little doubt that with your persistence you'll nail one and I look forward to hearing about it.
    Partly persistence, but I do love the excitement when the dogs approach barking, & yelping and the expectation of boar charging towards you, or not, at least yet

To be honest, I only did this trip because it was so cheap, and also because I thought it would be a good opportunity to look into some more affordable shooting for the following seasons. The guys belong to a shooting group/club, and I was invited as a guest. To put it into context, the Saturday hunt where there were 29 boar shot, cost €45.00, including breakfast, & lunch !!!, Sunday was more expensive, & cost €100.00 including breakfast, & lunch. So two days driven boar, for less than the average cost for one days paid stalking !!!!

Regular Poster
    Understood. That's a good opportunity and I should imagine difficult to resist.

As the saying goes, If you didn't have any bad luck, then you would have no luck at all. Bet no one wants to be on the peg next to you. Try changing your aftershave.
    Now in all seriousness I wish you the best of luck next time, and with mates like yours you soon be knocking boar over and running out of ammo. ATB for the next hunt.

Great write-up Lateral and keep at it!
    Best of luck on your next foray mate
    Andrew

Cracking write up and great pics.

You just need to stop splashing on that cheap 'Eau d'Sanglier Repousser' aftershave and they might come a bit closer!