Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh.

Uh-oh.

The Trading Post just got in a stack of Hornady 6.5mm 123 grain A-MAX. I've been wanting to try them in my X55.~Muir

I reckon you keep that trading post afloat all by yourself muir

Muir reloading supplies , you stock more than the trading post, let some make it to the boats mate as it is still dire over here and getting worse I am told, some of the biggest dealers over here have practically empty shelves, finding hodgdon powder is like trying to find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow , regards swaro

Quote Originally Posted by swarovski View Post
    Muir reloading supplies , you stock more than the trading post, let some make it to the boats mate as it is still dire over here and getting worse I am told, some of the biggest dealers over here have practically empty shelves, finding hodgdon powder is like trying to find a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow , regards swaro
    I actually left the A-Max on the shelf. The price is good: $25/100, but I already have 1600 of the PPU 120 grain boat-tail HP's that shoot into .3" when I don't flinch. When they get really dusty I'll come back and make an offer. (My family is from Scotland....)

Take heart on the Hodgdon powder. I just got a flier from Natchez Shooters Supply. They are listing Hodgdon powders of all varieties including the elusive Varget. ($25/lb and $176 per 8 lb tub: I have seen the desperate pay as much as $50/lb here at the worst of it) Likewise Winchester, Alliant, Ramshot, and IMR offerings. Things are loosening up a little...~Muir

U will be lucky to get any varget for 50 here, we get ripped off over here mate, dont think the 8lb tubs exist over here, from scotland, as fat bastord said, get in ma belly

U will be lucky to get any varget for 50 here, we get ripped off over here mate, dont think the 8lb tubs exist over here, from scotland, as fat bastord said, get in ma belly

Too bad on the 8 pound tubs. They can save you cash and effort. I wanted to get a big tub of Varget but couldn't justify it as I have 8 pounds already. Usually powder run $25 to $32 a pound. VV powders are very much more which is why I shy away from them, excellent as they are. I paid $24.95 for the Varget but just paid $23.75 for IMR 4831. IMR 4350 is $27/lb. My favorite 6.5x55 powder, IMR 7828SSC is holding steady at $25/pound.~Muir

Ive never used imr 7828ssc, I think thats usually on 6.5 06 data, nearly all data for that cal is crap, all way out, sierra data sez 53grsof h4831sc maxload for 142gr smks, I tried 50grs for a 140gr hybrid and had primers leak which was bergers max load, so say 2807fps, I got 2930fps, sierra data sex 50.6grs of n160 pushes 142gr smks at 2900fps, I got that on 48.5grs

We are all changing to viht powders coz its better value for money, hodgdon powders are over 100 per kilo, viht 70 to 80, its fast becoming silly money muir

We are all changing to viht powders coz its better value for money, hodgdon powders are over 100 per kilo, viht 70 to 80, its fast becoming silly money muir
    Ouch !

Ive never used imr 7828ssc, I think thats usually on 6.5 06 data, nearly all data for that cal is crap, all way out, sierra data sez 53grsof h4831sc maxload for 142gr smks, I tried 50grs for a 140gr hybrid and had primers leak which was bergers max load, so say 2807fps, I got 2930fps, sierra data sex 50.6grs of n160 pushes 142gr smks at 2900fps, I got that on 48.5grs
    Like we tell the newbies: Data is just a guide and as you found out, usually conflicts with what you actually get. I quit relying on it other than establishing a starting point. My gun tells me when I need to stop.

I think I got the 7828SSC data off of the X55 data section at Hodgdons. I was using it for 140's and just substituted 120s when I had the chance, working the charge up. I'm on the door of 2900 fps with it.

Too bad about the powder costs, it really is. I couldn't afford to shoot at that price. I scrimp and do without (food, new clothes... the stuff shooters can live without) to afford it now.~Muir