Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knives - what's really in the price

Knives - what's really in the price

Know v little about hunting knives and there seems to be an endless collection of brands out there. Prices range from 20 to a few hundred. What r u getting for the top price range and are they really worth it. I can understand the expensive Japanese kitchen knives that get used every day but can't imagine the hunting knife coming out of it's sheath as often.
    Keen to hear people's thoughts on this

For knife, read shotgun. You can get a perfectly serviceable shotgun for, say, 150. But if you want (and can afford it) you are able to buy a shotgun for upwards of 50,000. What's the difference, they'll do the same job? The more expensive gun will be a unique hand made work of art, giving the owner pleasure in it's ownership. It may also be an investment. Certainly it might work a bit better than the 150 gun, but that will only be a fraction of the price difference. What's more, if I had a 50k shotgun, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be going out rough shooting with me too often.

I find that folks fall into 2 groups , one just look at a knife as a working tool and so long as it does work they are happy, then there are folks like me that also want knives to function at top level but get a thrill from the pleasing looks of the knife and like all things you do tend to get what you pay for . An expencive knife will be of top grade steal possably hand crafted or even made to your own spec.
    I personaly look at some knives as pure beauty. I am currently putting knives together , that is buying blades and fitting handles,scales etc.I am also in the proccess of making blades from a farriers rasp.
    One bit of advise I was given by an ex special service soldier turned survival expert was you should be able to trust your life to your knife and if you cant dont have it because you never know one day you may need to.
    Tusker

A well fitting knife is how your best fitting rifle should be, an extension of your arm, I use a knife for work everyday, a folder not a custom, but a high end one, the handle fits like a glove, opens with ease, stays sharp and is easy to sharpen.
    My stalking knives are customs, this does not mean they have to be expensive, there are a lot of makers out there, you will get to know over time what will suit you, but if possible hold it before you buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    A well fitting knife is how your best fitting rifle should be, an extension of your arm, I use a knife for work everyday, a folder not a custom, but a high end one, the handle fits like a glove, opens with ease, stays sharp and is easy to sharpen.
    My stalking knives are customs, this does not mean they have to be expensive, there are a lot of makers out there, you will get to know over time what will suit you, but if possible hold it before you buy.
    yep + 1 on that, make sure the one you get is fit for the purpose you want and it fits you and you like it.

Money does come into it, buy the best you can, making sure it is as above.

That way you will keep it and enjoy its company

good luck

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    I agree. I'm not a knife snob but I've turned into a bit of a collector (albeit of working knives) by accident because I like knives. Or good ones anyway. I get pleasure form owning, using and maintaining good quality knives and so I buy carefully and look after them. For other people a knife is a mundane utility object to be used and abused, lost and cheaply replaced. If it cuts it'll do. It all depends which sort of knife user you are. There's no right or wrong to it. You will notice the difference between say a quality factory or affordable custom costing a couple of hundred pounds and a 20 cheapie. Whether that difference is important to you is a matter of personal taste. Its your knife and your money.
    I particularly don't like cheap folders. Wobbly blades, dodgy locks, chocolate cutting edges and general bad design aren't worth having, IMO, and I threw many a naff folder away in disgust in the past before I learnt not to waste my money on them.
    Having said that, high price doesn't necessarily guarantee high quality. Folders are a different ballgame to fixed blades and some manufacturers are much better at it than others. You need to know what to look for.

I like to use a nice knife. Yes a Mora will serve you well and do the job just fine, but there is something about using a quality handmade knife fit for purpose.
    I am currently using a Phil Wilson Smoke Creek in CPM S90V steel.
    The light weight and balance makes it a dream to use. The steel is amazing cuts very well and holds an edge longer than anything else I ever owned.

Does sound like it comes down to the desire to own a quality piece of metal, which is understandable. How about the function though. I think of the hunting/stalking knife as the tool to perform the gralloch. I've yet to actually do one but on my last stalk I shot a Roe and the PH used a blade, gut hook and saw to perform the gralloch. Wouldn't you need all 3 of these to perform such a task. Which leads to the question, would you not want to have all 3 of them as part of the knife, rather than 3 separate tools you have to lug around with you?