Conditions near Dumfries

mudman

I am considering a couple of days stalking on my ground about 15 miles north west of Dumfries. It would be helpful if someone local could tell me what the local conditions are like the moment, snow depth, ice on B roads etc etc?

Many Thanks

MM

Main roads ok but minor ones bloody tretcherous! Minor roads haven't seen a gritter in a while and the repeated cold nights have formed thick ice. I was down by Thornhill/Moniaive a few days ago with the 4x4 and it was bad.

Temps - daylight rarely above 0oc and nightimes very cold (-8oc last night).

Snow - about a foot on the ground with more expected in the next few days.

Stalking - the moon has been quite bright these last few days. Add this to clear nights in which visibility has been very, very good and biting winds during the day and stalking has been very tough. The deer are hunkering down during daytimes - you'll see plenty of tracks but few deer.

Hope this helps mate.... give me a call if you want more up to date.

Marc 07595453323

Cheers Marc, just the kind of info I was looking for. I think based on that I will give it a miss for now.

I'm back down near thornhill tommorrow to visit the gunshop...feel free to call if you want an update.

Hi looks like our ground is quiete close to each other Mudman, just sent you a pm Marc, hope thats ok mate,
Thanks Nick

gun shop in thornhill

i also spend a good amount of time near moniave and moffatt where is the gun shop in thornhill as i didnt know there was one there . Should have been up the week end but wont bother now unless the weather gets better moffatt seems a better bet depending on snow covering in the area

Next village south of Thornhill - Closeburn. Guy runs the business from his house - can't guarantee he has everything you'll want but he's good for ammo, basic gunsmithing and usually has a small collection of guns for sale.

Griff introduced me to him - Guy's name is Roy. Pleasant fella.

Closeburn Sporting Services
Closeburn Gardens
Closeburn
near Thornhill DG3 5HH
Tel: (01848) 331213

Best to phone before calling as he spends alot of time on his pheasant shoot.

Just watched local weather - heavy snow expected tonight and tommorrow morning.

Oh what joy .................. :cry:

roy jacobs is the gunsmith, i would always phone before going, runs a small shoot as well as other jobs jist to make sure he's in, usually quite happy to open evenings.(try not to phone 6-7 his tea time if i mind right)

jist had another finre covering off snow as i type this in lockerbie, and more forecast. i would imagine the moffat area will be worse than up thornhill/monaive. the holywood moniave rd via dunscore wasn't to bad last week if u take ur time and drive very sensiblly even though not gritted. forrest track was a bit nighmare a didnt go past gates,which locks were frozen on anyway
about 1 ft lying over our shoot last monday, jist below moffat. was stalking moniave christmas eve and not as much snow, still fresh snow then and not frosted makes life slightly easier. like u said plenty of tracks, only sightings sat perfect but scope playing (crosshairs had turned in tube earlier) up so had rifle empty so no temptations.

be pretty hard stalking anywhere in sw at moment esp with the frost on top off the snow. good luck anway thou

stalking on sunday

hi there i was also thinking of haveing a look up to the gate house of fleet this sunday. but i'll decide tomorrow or saterday. i might just contact you befor i come up if thats ok scotsgun.

Minus 11 at the moment, roads are treacherous, D&G have run out of salt.
So things are not going to improve just yet...

regards
grrrrrriff

As Griff says, it is bad up here, -15 in Eskdemuir last night. If you have to travel down forest tracks to your shoot think carefully. I had to help rescue my neighbour’s 4X4 Nissan fitted with big BFG tyres last night, the snow was so deep he could not see where the track was and dropped a wheel off the track edge into a ditch. My Suzuki also equipped with proper off road tyres only just managed to get to him and winch him out. It was first gear low box and both vehicles had to be dug out a couple of times to get in and out.

The snow was up to our knees in places. :eek:

ATB

Tahr

weather

well i decided not to risk it. and this weekend does'nt look much better.
I'm shooting in jedbrough on saterday so it looks like the stalking is off till next weekend.

Back