Cordless tools

N.F.W.M

I have used and worn out Dewalt, Metabo, Bosch, cordless drill/drivers and impact drivers and am currently using Hilti. Not overly impressed with the Hilti, chucks are abysmal.

I use to be a huge fan of Dewalt but they seemed to go thru a period of producing utter crap, what are the new models like ?

What are the current favourites with trade/professional users ?

Regards

Ed

hi bud im a mechanic and a big fan of the milwakee line of cordless guns ive got a 3/8 drive gun and carnt fault it so shhould imagine the rest of teh range are as good and come with great warrantys think it was like 2 years on the gun and 3 years on the batteries so carnt fault them might be worth a look see if there is anything in there range that might do ya as the seem very well priced

Now I'm a recent convert to Hilti, a mate of one who builds agricultural buildings has used them for years and raves bout their aftercare, I have leased some and bought some, the leasing option was great from my point of view as no massive capital outlay (big breakers) and next day swap on breakdowns.

I'd moan at your Hilti Rep, they seem to aspire to be the best service wise.

HTH

N

Dewalt are certainly not the same build as years ago , currently giving Makita and Panasonic a good hammering on a daily basis . Milwaukee wouldn't touch after the third motor replacement in 12 months on a drill driver . I'm afraid all built to a budget now .

My makita although not used daily works well ,I remember my fathers first power tool he was a time served chippy he brought home a hitachi when I was still at school 47 next birthday .
norma

Now I'm a recent convert to Hilti, a mate of one who builds agricultural buildings has used them for years and raves bout their aftercare, I have leased some and bought some, the leasing option was great from my point of view as no massive capital outlay (big breakers) and next day swap on breakdowns.

I'd moan at your Hilti Rep, they seem to aspire to be the best service wise.

HTH

N

As above use hilti impact guns every day 6 days a week and occasionally the drive snaps off the end but I expect that as being a steel erector building industrial buildings and using them all day tightening bolts they take some abuse with the leasing option if we break one take it to a hilti depot they will give you a replacement while yours is fixed so can't really fault there service and no charge at all.

We use a mix of Bosch 24v, Maikita 18v but we are moving on to Milwaukee 18 volt and 12 volt machines they just feel better put together and the price of extra batteries is also a bit cheaper than the other 2 makes Milwaukee tools are also made in Germany .
Hilti is probably the best on the market for power tools just not the cheapest but they do last for ever.
I think they also offer a life time guarantee on there cordless batteries for some models/voltages .
I would use Hilti all the time if I did not have to worry about other people working on site with sticky fingers!! pity you can not cut there fingers off when you catch them at it for "FS":cuckoo:

I tend to buy Festool kit mostly these days, but it depends what I want the tool for.....
Makita still produce excellent value for money, reliable, super-tough cordless tools and they also have the best range of different gear, although there was a bit of a problem with the 18v Li-ion batteries a while back, which they've sorted now fortunately. Bosch are close behind.
I have never liked DeWalt and won't buy anything made by them, they aren't as solidly built as Makita, yet similarly priced.

So, for me, it's between Bosch and Makita for the cheaper gear.
Only get Festool if you want real quality and plan to look after your tools properly and not leave them out in the rain etc...

I've not bought any commercial grade tools for a few years but I used to rate the following.

Makita cordless, Metabo Jigsaw and corded SDS drills. Dewalt flip over and chop saw. Festool for any precision tools including jigsaws, plunge saw etc.

If your doing neat cabinet work then Festool is excellent kit.

Makita never go wrong they last for years still got the same batteries, my Dewalt batteries packed in after a year ill never buy Dewalt again

I tend to buy Festool kit mostly these days, but it depends what I want the tool for.....
Makita still produce excellent value for money, reliable, super-tough cordless tools and they also have the best range of different gear, although there was a bit of a problem with the 18v Li-ion batteries a while back, which they've sorted now fortunately. Bosch are close behind.
I have never liked DeWalt and won't buy anything made by them, they aren't as solidly built as Makita, yet similarly priced.

So, for me, it's between Bosch and Makita for the cheaper gear.
Only get Festool if you want real quality and plan to look after your tools properly and not leave them out in the rain etc...

Or leave where anyone can 'borrow' my money would be makita. Festool is more a craftsman's tool. Extreme quality .... But you pay for it.

Bosch battery drills are the best and service second to none, just an example four working days before Christmas mine packed up. So I phoned bosch they picked it up next day from Site for free fixed it the next day,then returned back to me the day after all for the princely sum of nothing

Take a look round a professional construction site. Makita, Makita, Makita.

Yep, all our stuff is Makita, it's taken 7 years of daily use/abuse just to wear the brushes out on our impact drivers, still going strong

Brian

Makita never go wrong they last for years still got the same batteries, my Dewalt batteries packed in after a year ill never buy Dewalt again

I spent alot of time this summer helping a mate build an extension to his deer handling unit, we made full use of his Makita cordless tools and I was very impressed. The benefit of having a wide range of tools that all use the same batteries is great. I think he gets them from a dealer down your way, I will see him in the morning and ask.

Back