Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mentor query

Mentor query

Afternoon Gents,

just received a phone call from a friend, a new FAC holder with a few queries which I can't answer.

He has been been conditioned to have a mentor, happy to do so, however he has been told by FEO that he is looking at a large amount of culls completed before being deemed safe to carry out lone stalking, not been given a definitive number.
    My thoughts are that as long as he shows me he is safe and competent, has understanding of the species he is stalking and that I have enough faith in this to state so to the local force, that should be enough regardless of numbers culled. I will be more focussed on when the shot is not taken rather than numbers of beasts grassed. He has DSC1.

I am currently carrying out the same for another chap, a farmer with almost a decade of shooting experience (shotgun and rimfire), yet no mention of number has been made (different FLO, same constabulary), they deem him safe however to lamp foxes with CF without a mentor signing off (he is very safe and competent and a good lamping partner btw).....inconsistant or unenforceable?

Any thoughts and previous experiences appreciated.

Tabs

????????????????????
    really dont get it.

I dont see how hunting deer in daylight is so difficult
    or dangerous
    as compared with riding round in the pitch dark
    hunting foxes and other stray creatures that have eye shine

surely taking and getting DSC 1 is enough.

Tell them they are being completely out of order. If they deem you not be a danger to the public and issue an FAC then they have no cause to insist on mentor, number of animals culled, dsc1 or any other such bull***t. You have applied with good reason to posses a firearm. They have found no good reason for refusal. End of. You don't need to complete any type of competency test. Just the police making up their own laws again. Your mate should not stand for it. Problem is so many do and then the police see it as normal practice. Until the home office bring in any further conditions relating to ability to use a fire arm all we are applying for is the right to own one.

Dont even think about accepting that!! Get Basc or NGO involved
    ATB Steve

write a letter after six months say he is good to go, that's if he is obviously
    Last edited by Taff; 02-03-2014 at 17:34.

Contact your shooting organisation for advise before replying to the police, bearing in mind recent recommendations regarding mentoring from ACPO.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by 8x57 View Post
    Contact your shooting organisation for advise before replying to the police, bearing in mind recent recommendations regarding mentoring from ACPO.
    Got a link 8x57?
    Big dinner + glass of wine = feeling a bit lazy.

Really dont get it.

I dont see how hunting deer in daylight is so difficult
    or dangerous
    as compared with riding round in the pitch dark
    hunting foxes and other stray creatures that have eye shine

​Couldn't agree more, far more scope for a misjudgement imho.

surely taking and getting DSC 1 is enough.

Thats a different discussion. Add some firearm experience to that however, and Im unsure how anyone could argue. They are asking for mentor to walk his ground also. Ground that has been shot as part of a very large estate for over a century.

We have ground between us to cull half a dozen or so in the next week or two, may just jump through the hoops to keep things simple.

Tabs

Last edited by Tabs; 02-03-2014 at 18:27. Reason: Amarone

Not immediately to hand but David at BASC put something up on the site at the time of the announcement, and you can also look in the guidance to police document as it should be in there also.
    Basically mentoring conditions should be the exception rather than the rule.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Tabs View Post
    .....may just jump through the hoops to keep things simple.

I think that's what they are hoping you'll do
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

I applied for my FAC and had a closed cert.
    I did my DSC1 and applied for a .270 for stalking, when my certificate was returned I had an open certificate and no restrictive clauses.
    It looks as if each force interprets the guidance differently or have no understanding of their own system.
    Cumbria Police were brilliant on every occasion I have delt with them.