Gloves.

Duncs

Any advice?? For mainly highs.eat work in the extreme cold?? Been using ex army NI gloves, but a little bulky(but very good.) What do you guys use??

Thinsulate gloves off ebay cost under £5, I always take the right hand one off to shoot. If it gets very cold use a hand warmer, the type that takes lighter fuel are best, again go to ebay.

I use a pair of Silk glove liners - very warm and very thin with a pair of thicker leather and thinsulate gloves over the top. I take the thick gloves off though when a shot is likely, and on te liner gloves I have a hole on my trigger finger.

But unless it is very cold I tend not to bother with gloves and use hand warmer pocket and find my hands stay warm provided the rest of my body is warm.

But in cold weather trigger control is more difficult and lightweight triggers can be a real issue. I have a set trigger and certainly don't use the "set" when it is cold. In cold weather / difficult conditions, good technique - ie breathing control, squeeze etc is very important - something that I tend to forget.

Cold hands are something I've always suffered from, and in the past it's not been helped by trying to save pennies with el cheapo solutions.

After a few outings wearing the Harkila Kodiak jacket and trousers I'm now sold on their products for cold weather use and have splashed out on a pair of the gloves. Not cheap but I'm starting to value my creature comforts a bit more these days and they are apparently waterproof, windproof and insulated! They're available on eBay and I got them from these people after making an offer at £60.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200199633535&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Forget Neoprene...they're the devil's work!

Harkila gloves are great but the sizes run small. I am only a size 9 glove but have to have XL in Seeland/Harkila. Do Scandinavians have small hands?

Frax said:
Harkila gloves are great but the sizes run small. I am only a size 9 glove but have to have XL in Seeland/Harkila. Do Scandinavians have small hands?

That's weird because they must have extra large shoulders - the jacket is one size down on what I would have expected, and even then it s a 'generous' fit, (as in room for Xmas excess!). They must be the same as us in the trouser department though, they fit perfectly.

Harkila Alaska mittens are toasty warm but not waterproof.Good for dry arctic conditions we're experiencing just now

leather golf gloves
A. because I can't use my trigger finger. Knackard tendons
B More grip
C thin enough so you can 'feel' the trigger

Then in cold weather put a pair of Musto gloves over the top.

Was out in -7 on Monday and had toastie hands ;)

Jonathon

good thread as i am after new gloves.

Frax why no to neoprene??? i was going to get some what is the problem with them.

regards......neil

Neoprene are great when diving or general watersports use, but cr*p when used in air, then get wet, they are not really much good for use in stalking.

I have one of these places close to me and sometimes they have some excellent sales. I bought a pair of gloves recently, they were £10, have a gippy palm and are very warm. I am driving around on and atv feeding animals and they have proven to be very good. They are still thin enough to provide some 'feel' though.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-list&Text=glove

Grant

got a pair of sealskins waterproof for Christmas, damn site warmer than those MACwet jobs, fold back trigger fingers if you feel the need for more dexterity

hughsurrey said:
got a pair of sealskins waterproof for Christmas, damn site warmer than those MACwet jobs, fold back trigger fingers if you feel the need for more dexterity

As mentioned in a previous thread the Sealskinz gloves I bought were the most useless gloves I have ever bought. The first day I wore them on the hill (hinds in late Oct 07) very quickly proved they are neither waterproof nor warm. As luck would have it I had a pair of cheap fleece gloves and MoD issued arctic goretex outer mitts which are waterproof. When combined with the issued inners the combination is fantastic (and used regularly over the last few weeks).

In the past I have taken a couple of pairs of fleece gloves on the hill. When the first pair get wet and start to cool swap them over. Two pairs normally see me through a whole day.

Back