Tikka 223 what twist to get

Roebuck243

Just a thought I'll throw this one out to you new Tikka T3 223 soon and I've a choice on twist 8 or 12 was going to go 12 but not sure . I shoot 243 and a 204 at minute .
Would be happy throwing a 53 vmax for Roe and fox , so would 1/12 twist be ok or will I regret it ,cheers

Are you sure you can get a 8 twist, they are special order and I here that Tikka are discontinuing them?! I was searching for a 1/8 twist for months, could never find one.

Steve.

I spoke to the gun shop other day they have both in to choose from apparently.
also forget the 243 in this instance if it was just a 223 1/8 or 1/12.

I'd get the faster twist rate. My 1-9 stabilises 50grns no problem and will go upto the bigger stuff if I want to muck about with long range target stuff.

I use 55grns in my Remmy 700 1:9 woks well on Charlie. Use 17HMR for bunnies so didn't see the need to shoot the lighter bullets through my .223

The 8 twist is more versitile and will allow you to shoot the heavier bullets which have better BC's - it will still shoot the lighter bullets too
The 12 twist will stabilize up to a 63 grn Soft point bullet and definately the 50 - 55 grn range of bullets.

If you get the tight twist - you have got all bases covered

I have a 1/8 T3 lite which is the least accurate rifle I have. Quite a few have accuracy problems with the 1/8, maybe that is why they are dropping it. If I had the choice again I'd go 1/12 or risk 1/10 if available. Don't think I'll go 223 again, used to like the cartridge until I had the T3.
edi

I have a 1:12" T3 which does very well with the 53gn Vmax and also with the 60gn Vmax which is the heaviest and longest tried.
The 1:8" may allow heavier bullet weights, but I'm aware of at least three being inaccurate with anything lighter than 55gn. If available in the UK then the 1:10" might be a good compromise.

I have a 1/8 T3 lite which is the least accurate rifle I have. Quite a few have accuracy problems with the 1/8, T3.

Opperator error more likley, wrong combination of bullets, heads, powder and primers etc. Have they tried all options..... I though not.

Opperator error more likley, wrong combination of bullets, heads, powder and primers etc. Have they tried all options..... I though not.

Wasted about three years of trying with mine, was talking on forums to others with the same problem on the T3 1/8. Mine is a 1" gun, not more. My CZ 223 was well under 1/2" with several brands of ammo. I guarantee the problem would be solved with an aftermarket barrel. For now the rifle is used for bedding stocks. Don't get me wrong, as a fox lamping rifle she is ok and I have shot plenty with her however it is not the super accurate Tikka that every one makes them out to be. My other Howas, Remintons and CZ have been far more accurate.
edi

Sound like you have just got a bad rifle Edi.... All manufacturers knock the occasional rogue rifle :doh:

I have had three 8 twist T3 Tikka 223's - All were excellent and would even shoot 40 grn bullets into 0.6 inch.

Its probably put you off the twist and cal - but in reality its neither - just you have been unlucky with that rifle IMO.

Alan

Last edited:
I have a 1/8 T3 lite which is the least accurate rifle I have. Quite a few have accuracy problems with the 1/8, maybe that is why they are dropping it. If I had the choice again I'd go 1/12 or risk 1/10 if available. Don't think I'll go 223 again, used to like the cartridge until I had the T3.
edi
I hope mines ok ive just got a 1 in 8 t3 hunter ,im going to put factory through it as i dont load as yet ,55 vmax for fox / 6ogrn noslers for deer , so heres hoping cheers doug, I know its not deer legal in england exept cwd s / munties,

Last edited:
what do you need to shoot that the 204 and 243 don't cover? if i had both these i would not bother.that said i would buy an action and get a border one in 8 fitted. jd

Hi just got in from pigeon shooting thanks for all responses it's got me thinking about the 1/8 now to not touch it and go for the 1/12 as a safer bet.
I shoot 204 for foxes mainly around built up areas it's a fairly safer round very rarely exits fox and does drop foxes taking over 160 last year so pleased with it so I wouldn't need for that.
My 243 I leave and share (dad) is up Scotland for the roe and is a cracking rifle calibre.
The 223 would be an infill calibre I don't know why but thought It would do for foxing out in sticks ,I've got some money to burn as well from scope sale.
I wish it was Roe legal in England but never mind.

Hi just got in from pigeon shooting thanks for all responses it's got me thinking about the 1/8 now to not touch it

Like I said before mate, you probably wont be able to get a 1/8 twist in any case unless you manage to find one somewhere?

this as got me thinking now, will my 1 in 8 come back and bite me in the butt as i got this for fox and possibly roe up country + muntie/cwd god i hope it shoots better than me? mines a hunter 1in8 that reminds me too get some ammo,

Last edited:
Like I said before mate, you probably wont be able to get a 1/8 twist in any case unless you manage to find one somewhere?

Like I said I've been offered choice of 2 rifles in the Tikka T3 lite brand new the other day, it was the gunshop that said they have 2 in the lite version 1/8 or 1/12 it's up to me which took me by surprise.
Thats why this conversation started in the first place otherwise it would have never crossed my mind.

Back